question about soldering copper tubing

Softus said:
Nige F said:
Don't you mean "El Ñoobo", Nige?
Just to be even more pedantic than softus, can I point out that noob is mainly of North American origin and usage and so would be pronounced noob, not nyoob as the British say (as in nooz and nyooz for news). Therefore a Spanish version of the word would not employ the tilde over the n.

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
Just to be even more pedantic than softus...
I infer that you regard the act as some kind of superlative, chrishutt! :eek:

BTW, "Softus" has a capital S. :D

Softus said:
"Softus" has a capital S. :D
Oh no! That's the second time you've caught me out on that one! :oops:

Ok Softus, you're still the Prince of Pedantry.

chrishutt said:
Ok Softus, you're still the Prince of Pedantry.
Given that pedantry is pretty much a compulsion that's not necessarily a desirable title, but since it comes from you Chris I'll take it as a compliment.:cool:

Sponsored Links
Prince not compulsive enough?

How about The Pope of Pedantry.

By the way, chris has a small c.

regarding your Proper OP question , is this a set piece for NVQ work ?

if yes start again , I think the fail rate is anything over 2mm bead ...

an get the proper solder , DOH :)
on a job you just blast it with your Rothenberger , an drip slighty on with a three tap .....never (touch wood )had a fail with that method all these years

very cute interlude.

let's get back to work, is that good?

well, here's the thing. Truth be told I completed the job with lots of soldered joints. lots. Today I tested. Three leaking joints. Undid two and resoldered and fine. The third one is a bit of a bugbear. I have been using my butane torch hooked up to a small metal cannister to do the job, it's what i've been using for years. The first two joints were very hard to unsolder. required a lot of time. The third joint doesn't budge. My thinking is that this tin/silver solder has a really high RE-melting point and that i'm not going to get at it with butane. Would the solution be to go out and get some propane which burns hotter? Pain in the neck, but if it's the only way to undo this joint I guess i'll go for it. let the experts plz contribute to this thread.

If you're not within 1 metre of the boiler then I'd say 'sod it' and whack in Hep2o pipe with Hep2o pushfit fittings.

The job would be completed quicker than you could say "bish bash bosh" - I believe that's a rather street-wise exclamation to use. ;)

Softus said:
If you're not within 1 metre of the boiler then I'd say 's** it' and whack in Hep2o pipe with Hep2o pushfit fittings.

The job would be completed quicker than you could say "bish bash bosh" - I believe that's a rather street-wise exclamation to use. ;)

softus, what's the translation of what you wrote?

bardos said:
softus, what's the translation of what you wrote?
If you're not within 1 metre of the boiler...
Don't use plastic pipe or fittings within a 1 metre pipe run from the boiler.

...then I'd say 's** it' and whack in Hep2o pipe with Hep2o pushfit fittings.
...then I recommend that you use stop messing around trying to solder and instead use plastic pipe and fittings; an example of a suitable product range is Hepworth "Hep2o".

You would complete the job very quickly and easily. Yea verily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back