Any of you guys answer phone on Saturday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a ride out to Brid to get hot water in a hotel full of guests back on 'cause non of the local guys answer phone on Saturday.

Lucky was only a Mexico needing a tc or he'd have had to wait until Monday. I suppose I could have found him an immersion somewhere in the van if it hasn't been stood on once too often.

We'll be leting down a lot of hoteliers over the weekend when the Mexico's have all dies a death and they have modern boilers. We'll have to get used to black looks, or take to carying spare boilers around in back of van.

Sponsored Links
I find boilers can be quite regional. Vokera would seem to be the boiler of choice in Glasgow until recently.

As my main work comes from repairs and servicing, I carry most often needed Vokera parts (including fans, pcbs, heat exchangers, gas valves) to attempt a one call repair. It does not always happen like that.

You are quite correct when you say repairing an all singing dancing modern boiler is a nightmare.

answer phone decides if its worth turning out, and at weekend its got to be worth my while. :)

Well I'm never quiet in the week but there is always work at the weekend because of all the guys who don't answer phone at all. I don't mind turning out to help hoteliers stay open and stuff like that or burst pipes etc but I get very cross if it's some idiot wanting to talk about something not critical. Call me 9-5 Monday to Friday please unless it's an emergency? 24hr callout doesn't mean you can ring me at 9pm on a Sunday to talk about which bathroom taps to get.

a while ago when I was very stressed a woman called me about that at that time. I'm afraid I was rude. I said "excuse me but do I know you?" she was a little taken aback, and said "no". "Then why do you think you can call me at 9oclock on a Sunday evening about taps?" Never heard from here agin.

Sponsored Links
most good engineers have made enough money monday to friday.so weekend work is not required.
i have educated my customers to pay me cash for emergency work,its the only incentive for me and it works.

Is it a good engineer that isn't available for his customers during a crisis? We are a holiday town, if the hoteliers have a crisis at the weekend it has massive repercussions.

a lot of my customers want weekend calls as its more convient for them to be home.
in an hour i will be exchanging a suprima pcb.week price £222.00...weekend price £280.00 yes cash and they are happy with that price.

Should make it a round £300...........I`d want that just to go to the Smoke :mad: :evil: :LOL: :LOL:

kier said:
...cash for emergency work,its the only incentive for me and it works.
Why? Is cash more valuable to you than a cheque? If so, then why?

Paul Barker said:
Is it a good engineer that isn't available for his customers during a crisis? We are a holiday town, if the hoteliers have a crisis at the weekend it has massive repercussions.

but how good is that good engineer if he is totally knackerd, even the best of us need some down time.

corgiman
quite correct , you get people expecting you "should" work 24/7

Softus
cash is easier to deal with than cheques an credit cards obviously

Moz said:
cash is easier to deal with than cheques an credit cards obviously
Hm. Pros and cons I'd say Moz.

1. You have to be more careful with it to avoid losing it or having it nicked.
2. It's easily spent when it's in your wallet.
3. It's possible to hide the fact that you've received it.
4. You have to spend time counting it.

Which of those you regard as good and bad points is down to your personality and your degree of criminality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back