Two cookers off one radial circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to power a single oven and a combination oven off an existing single radial (I presume) circuit (currently powering a double oven)? Both appliances have a max power rating of 3.6 kW. I make it that each would draw 15A max, so both together would draw 30A max; would this work? Bearing in mind also that the single oven will be moved to the other side of the kitchen (approx 2.5m), so a feed will need to be taken across there, with the combi oven on the side of the existing double oven. How would this be wired up? Would they be individually fused?

An electrician I had around yesterday said he could get away without using the existing double oven circuit for the new single oven on the other side of the kitchen, using the ring circuit in some way... would this be possible / safe?

Many many thanks!!
Michael Brewer

Sponsored Links
10 mm cable will give you 57 amps
6 mm cable 41 amps
6 mm cable will give 41 amp
4 mm cable will give you 32amp possilble if you allow for diversity but then I say what about christmas when the wife got every oven on to do the cooking so I would say no.
In good pratice it always best to run a second raidal from the board to a double pole 40 amp isolation switch and then to the oven and as I belive you say that the ovens are not next to each other I would run a new radial circuit at least then you will not have these worrys

Thanks for the info. If 6mm cable will give 41A, and the radial is provided by 6mm cable, then I can't see why you can't power two appliances drawing max 30A (and those two appliances only, no others) off that single radial. Is this being too simplistic?

Of course, my heart of hearts tells me that it would be safest to run a new radial to the kitchen, but then another side (and the wallet) can't put up with the hassle of having holes made all over the place to get the radial from the front door to the kitchen.

I would love to get away with using what's there already, and my A-level physics (actually, I did a physics degree too; forgot about that) can't see why a 41A cable can't take 30A max load.

Thanks for all your help!

Regs say iso switch for cookers must be no more than 2.5m from appliance.

Sponsored Links
That's something to take into account; but couldn't this easily be achieved by just by putting one switch off the radial near the first oven, then run the radial across the kitchen to another switch near the second oven?

Thanks.

paulh53
#

Yes, you're right. It is 2 metres. I was thinking about 2.5 cable and it was a slip of the finger, so to speak. Sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back