Moving a light switch ( adding socket)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My outside light switch needs to be moved approx 2 feet, its present location is next to the consumer unit and i would like to move it to outside the consumer unit cupboard for easier access.

1. The cable from the outside light to the switch ( double switch) will need to be lengthened, can i join additional cable onto it without it causing any probs? ( 2 foot)
( cable from switch to CU is easy enough to replace)

2. I'd like to have an electrical socket near to where the light switch will be placed, can a single ( or double) socket be wired into the light switch ?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
You can extend your lighting cables by using a junction box, as long as that JB is accessible for inspection & testing purposes.

If it is easy to replace the cables so that there are no joins, do that.

You cannot wire a socket from a lighting circuit. Even if you could, there is not always a neutral at the switch position.

Thanks for your reply, To replace the cable from the outside light to the switch will be bummer of a task BUT not impossible, will try it initially but if no joy will go for the JB option.

cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back