Boiler, occasional minor explosions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a problem Houston, minor explosions in the boiler! Particularly prevalent when on high flame. Perhaps a clue to the problem is that when listening closely with the boiler lit it gives off at about second intervals a kind of pah pah sound which is only really noticeable on high flame position. When on high flame position the flame is tinged with orange rather than being all blue . I'm wondering if these occasional slight explosions when on high fire , which incidentally sometimes extinguishes the flame, is due to a possible slight water drip from one of the heat exchanges. I'm using the boiler on low fire position to stop the slight explosions. Incidentally the boiler is a Glow-Worm 55 condenser unit? Thoughts anyone...?

Sponsored Links
Call a Corgi wallah quick, could be dangerous. I've spent time failing to find a story which started like yours - same boiler I think. Unfortunately that one was fit only for scrap. :cry:

One thing which you should be concerned about is the orange tinged flame: this means that the gas is not burning completely and is producing carbon monoxide. :eek: Get it checked, and I suggest you keep a window open in that room until it is declared safe!

It's a balanced flue boiler - CO wouldn't get into the room. Until you had a really BIG explosion!

Sponsored Links
unless of course chris the boiler was one of the many which seem to have had a diy stripdown this weekend :)

Gloworn 55 a condensor? Did they make a balanced flue condensing boiler?

OldBroiler said:
We have a problem Houston, minor explosions in the boiler! Particularly prevalent when on high flame. Perhaps a clue to the problem is that when listening closely with the boiler lit it gives off at about second intervals a kind of pah pah sound which is only really noticeable on high flame position. When on high flame position the flame is tinged with orange rather than being all blue . I'm wondering if these occasional slight explosions when on high fire , which incidentally sometimes extinguishes the flame, is due to a possible slight water drip from one of the heat exchanges. I'm using the boiler on low fire position to stop the slight explosions. Incidentally the boiler is a Glow-Worm 55 condenser unit? Thoughts anyone...?

I think everyone has more or less covered all solutions.
But I'd just like to emphasize that an orange flame is very dangerous, and you should turn the boiler off now, and call a pro.

By the way, is the 'explosion' a detonation. Or just a whoosh sound. I had a whoosh sound for years on my boiler without any problems.

Many thanks indeed to all who have taken time to write. Naturally given the nature of the manifestation of whatever the cause of the problem is , all views taken very seriously.
Firstly apologies, the full information about the boiler is that it's a Glow-Worm Energysaver 50. GC 41 319 70 high efficiency condenser boiler.
I guess on reflection I should have also mentioned that this what I call slight explosion actually goes off with something of 'whoosh' type of noise rather than a real explosive type of sound (which incidentally unfortunately isn't exactly something I haven't previously experienced ).
Anyway on low fire the boiler behaves like a gentleman and runs perfectly well with a completely blue flame.
The whoosh type of minor bangs or if you like 'explosions' when the boiler is switched on high fire hasn't just recently started, it would be inclined to make the whoosh type of explosive sound several months ago. Which as previously mentioned occurs only when set in the high fire switched position. Needless to say I've had the boiler running on the low fire setting since then.
So I'm now on the look out for a non- rip-off corgi engineer in the area who isn't snowed under! Hopefully they aren't a breed difficult to track down ...! Brrruuuhh sure has turned damn cold in these Central Peak Distict hills! Cheers all and sincere grateful thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back