Extractor Fan - Location of Double Pole Switch

stl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to get someone in to install a timed extractor fan in the bathroom. The fan would go through the wall in zone 3 and I plan to have this connected to the lighting circuit in the bathroom, which I understand is permissible providing there is a double pole isolator switch between the lighting rose and the cable leading direct from this rose to the fan. The existing light switch is a pull cord near the door, within zone 3. All wiring appears new in the property.

I have seen some really useful discussions on this page, about this issue and the associated wiring layout. However, I have a few further questions which I would be grateful if anyone could advise on.

- Can this double pole isolator be located in the bathroom, e.g. in zone 3, directly adjacent to the timed fan?

- If the above is not possible, can the double pole isolator be integrated / combined with the light pull cord switch, adjacent to the door?. I think I may have seen double pull cord switches for fans and lights in other properties (e.g. one cord for operating the light as normal (fan comes on when light on) and one cord (higher up) for the fan isolator switch.).

In summary, I am wanting to avoid (if possible) having the isolator switch in the adjacent room (kitchen), as this would involve detrimental work to the kitchen finishes.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You can have the isolator mounted next to the fan providing you use a pull switch. If your fan has a timer over-run then you will need to fit a three pole isolator pull switch adjacent to the fan.

Thanks for the reply!.

Can this also be installed within the light pull cord switch, i.e. as per my second comment and is there such a combined switch / isolator available.

Thanks

No. The pullcord and the TPI have different roles. The TPI is there to safely isolate all poles for cleaning & maintenance. The single pole pullcord is just there to trigger the fan to come on.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou for the reply. I have recently had a variety of NICEIC Domestic Installer electricians in to quote for this work. However, they seem to offer differing advice on whats required.

- One says triple pole isolator pull switch is required and may be sited in Zone 3, next to the Fan in the Bathroom.

- The others says the isolator switch is not required - but if I want it installed it would be in the kitchen and not the fan. He also said that the fan would be wired from the light pull switch as opposed to the lighting ceiling rose.

I would have though the first response was more correct and I am not doubting the qualifications of either organisation, but am wondering if there is some confusion in the British Standards or if the requirements have recentl changed.

I would be interested to hear any comments and the definitive answer on this.

Thanks

RF Lighting said:
You can have the isolator mounted next to the fan providing you use a pull switch. If your fan has a timer over-run then you will need to fit a three pole isolator pull switch adjacent to the fan.

securespark said:
No. The pullcord and the TPI have different roles. The TPI is there to safely isolate all poles for cleaning & maintenance. The single pole pullcord is just there to trigger the fan to come on.

You have your definitive answer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back