Noisy Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an upstaird radiator that makes a constant humming noise, similar to that of a computer with a loud fan. No other radiator in the house (including upstairs) makes the same noise. The radiatore makes the same noise whether it is on or off. I've bled the radiator, making no difference, and the noise even continues when the valve is open.

Please help, as it's driving me daft. If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Does it ever stop ? If so, when ? Is it caused by the rad or the mounting brackets vibrating ? If so, what is close by that could cause it ? e.g. boiler, pump, etc.

It's absolutely constant all the time, and if I put my ear to the radiator, it sounds like it's coming from inside.

The only way I can really describe it is like gas noisily passing through the radiator. The noise is present whether it's on or off though, and still present after bleeding.

Sponsored Links
I'm not expert, but I really don't think so.

What could I do to test if it was or wasn't?

haha, I had already tried that, but thought that it was going to be something more complicated.

It's definitely not vibration.

I'm confident that it's something to do with gas going through the radiator. That's what it sounds like. It makes a noise similar to what you hear when you listen to the boiler.

The boiler is a Worcester Bosch 240, and it's downstairs.

it'll be water not gas!!! :LOL:

Try opening the lockshield valve (the one without a twisty knob) a bit more and see if noise changes or stops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back