Where is the water coming from?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Over the last few weeks I have noticed the sound of water going through the pipes in our 2 storey house at times when no water is being used ie all taps off, no-one flushing toilet etc.

Yesterday I checked our water meter (which is inside the house) and the last dial is turning very slowly, so I guess we have a leak somewhere? We have checked both toilets and they seem to be fine. When we open the door to the cupboard that houses the hot water tank, the sound is more obvious. H has checked the cold water tank in the loft and all seems fine.

Any ideas on where to look next, or should we call a plumber ASAP?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes you get a leak in the incoming main, under the floor. That way you will not notice the escaping water. If often happens at the elbow where the pipe turns upwards to come up through the floor (caused by cavitation corrosion). this is often in the corner of the kitchen. If the floor is concrete it can be rather hard work digging up the floor to get at it and you may find it easier to take a new route.

Have a look at the floor where the pipe comes up, and under the floorboards (if any) along the route it takes from the outside stopcock/meter.

If you have solid floors you might find damp patches under the carpets, though this is not very likely.

How old is your house, and what are the floors made of? Do you have a downstairs WC off the mains, or is the kitchen the first point? Do you have a stopcock inside the house?

Hi and thanks for replying.

The stopcock is in the downstairs loo, right next the the meter - when you turn the tap off (to shut off the water supply), the meter stops running.

We have just had laminate floors laid, so not easy to inspect underneath in the loo, but in the kitchen (which is only a cloak cupboard away), we checked under all the units and all was dry.

The house is around 16 years old.

Madrosie04 said:
...The stopcock is in the downstairs loo, right next the the meter - when you turn the tap off (to shut off the water supply), the meter stops running...

OK. that tells us the leak is inside your house. Have a good look round all the cisterns and tanks (incuding the Feed & Expansion for the central heating), under the bath, the tilet cistersn, the garden tap etc in case you find anything easier to deal with without taking up the floors (there is likely to be water in the space under the floors, if there is one, or in the concrete).

Meanwhile start asking your friends and neighbours for the name of a recommended local plumber, and decide where you can take up some flooring to have a look underneath. The cupboard under the stairs is often a good place, or just inside the front door.

With a house of your age, the water main is likely to be black or blue plastic, so if it is leaking it is more likely to be at a joint (obviously it will not rust) or a tap.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. Will get H to check the feed and expansion for the ch. Have checked under the bath and garden tap.

No - and have looked everywhere we can for any signs of it, ie ceilings, in cupboards, behind units etc. My H has a damp meter so maybe we should check everywhere again with that.

is your downstairs floors solid or suspended timber.or even suspended concrete .

fitz1 said:
is your downstairs floors solid or suspended timber.or even suspended concrete .

The floors are suspended timber, with laminate on top.

If the leak is downstairs in the pipework, would we still be able to hear the water in the pipes upstairs? (please excuse my lack of plumbing expertise :oops: ).

yes. the noise travels along the pipes.

As you have suspended timber floors, it will be relatively easy for you to poke your head down and have a look and sniff around.

(once you have overcome the psychological barrier of cutting your laminate).

JohnD said:
yes. the noise travels along the pipes.

As you have suspended timber floors, it will be relatively easy for you to poke your head down and have a look and sniff around.

Ok thanks.

if its all laminate floors , move washing machine and cut a trap underneath.

Is it possible that there could be a leak behind the tiles in the bathroom? We have a power shower fitted. Or would there be evidence with mouldy grouting?

You would almost certainly smell the damp plaster and see the wet flooring when you pulled back the panel...

UNLESS

(as in my house) the bath taps are directly above the boiler, and there is some ducting for the pipes down to the top of the boiler. In such a case it is possble for the heat of the boiler to evaporate a small amount of water that drips onto it (this can also happen with an airing cupboard with hot pipes) but I would have thought you would notice the humidity with steamy windows and so on.

Also, do you have a plumbing duct from the bathroom through the floor, with the soil pipe and water pipes in it?

JohnD said:
You would almost certainly smell the damp plaster and see the wet flooring when you pulled back the panel...

UNLESS

(as in my house) the bath taps are directly above the boiler, and there is some ducting for the pipes down to the top of the boiler. In such a case it is possble for the heat of the boiler to evaporate a small amount of water that drips onto it (this can also happen with an airing cupboard with hot pipes) but I would have thought you would notice the humidity with steamy windows and so on.

Also, do you have a plumbing duct from the bathroom through the floor, with the soil pipe and water pipes in it?

No water on the floor that we could see when the panel was taken off and no smell.

No the boiler is downstairs, the hot water cistern is in one of the bedroom cupboards and no humidty anywhere.

Yes there is a duct with all the pipework you mentioned that leads into the cupboard that the cistern in in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back