Flooring over a drain access cover in consrevatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to all this and I couldn't see this question answered anywhere else - apologies if it has already been asked.

I have had a new conservatory built over an existing drain cover. The builders used a raised access hatch and have put concrete screed over the floor.

I now want to lay laminate flooring to finish it. I realise that I will need to have some kind of hatch so that I can access the drain if we ever need to. I have been told that this is possible but I don't know where to start.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
i guess you need to install some kind of flush fitting timber trim around the inspection chamber cover, creating a mitred frame.

then fabricate, within that frame, (the inspection chamber lid itself) a removable panel, similar to a loft hatch, again with a flush mitred trim.

WoodYouLike??

noseall said:
i guess you need to install some kind of flush fitting timber trim around the inspection chamber cover, creating a mitred frame.

then fabricate, within that frame, (the inspection chamber lid itself) a removable panel, similar to a loft hatch, again with a flush mitred trim.

WoodYouLike??
That's possible and will give you a posh panel. If the drain cover isn't that large you could just lay the floor normally and where the cover is, cut the board/boards to make it a loose cover. Just be aware you'll have to get rid of the T&G/click-bits. If indeed the cover isn't that big, the loose cover won't effect the stability of the floor.
We've done it before with wood-engineered floors and solid floors, no probs.

How often do drains block
if it did could it be rodded from another point.
I wouldnt bother (& didnt) spoil my floor for odds of 1 in ?????

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun
drains block like "s*ds law " my mate Brian has a drain biz ,

an he get a call a week from covered over man holes in conservatory ,

9 out of 10 thats where the interceptor trap is , like a u bend in a straight run
jetters dont touch them , !!!!!!
conservatory floor gotta come up as a water jetter wont clear .....

always have a trap ... ;)

Thanks for all the advice. I decided I probably would be the 1 in ????? who was unlucky enough to get a blocked drain so we made a loose cover as suggested. Seems to have done the job. You can see the edges but only really if you are looking and we will probably put a table over it anyway.

Cheers again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back