Leaking boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anybody offer any advice?

My boiler is leaking and i can't stop it without turning off the stop tap. :cry:

It is a ferroli Optima 601 combi boiler.

Originally the pressure was too high so i released the pressure relief valve to let some water out. Now the water will not stop coming out. It seems like when i empty water out of it more automatically goes back in.

For quite a while the boiler would drip when the DHW or Heating was on, and the pressure was quite high at 3 bars. recently the Hot water was only working when the heating was on, then both gradually failed to operate.

I have bled the radiators and there is no trapped air.

I have to turn off the water supply to stop it leaking. Has anyone had this problem or know about pressure relief valves and filling loops?

Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
turn water inlet valve off under boiler and then at least you can have your main cold water on , until youve sorted leak.

Thanks,

I will try that. Will that be above the blue pipe that seems to be letting the water in?

if you have an external filling loop at the boiler and the above doesnt stop the water leak, your loop must be passing water into your heating system.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I might be able to get a photo on later, I'm at work at the moment. It does seem like the boiler just keeps filling up. The water valve appears to be closed and i can hear when water passes through.

When i turn the water back on at the mains it seems to fill up again and start leaking despite the fact that i haven't adjusted the water inlet valve!

if the filling loop isn't passing then it may well be the primary heat exchanger could be spilt and passing DHW into the primary heating. ferrolli have a dual primary heat exchange on them unlike lots of combis that have a calorifier.

As Fitz1 said its your filling loop which is letting by,
just remove the loop,
that will stop the boiler refilling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back