low pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
want to add a shower, but the water pressure isnt great. hot comes from an tank, and the cold direct from the mains. ive seen pumps to pump hot and cold, but they say not to use on the mains. is there an easy way around this?

Sponsored Links
You could go for a venturi shower -Trevi make a decent one.

The mains cold supply is used to spin a turbine to boost the hot water flow

newboy said:
You could go for a venturi shower -Trevi make a decent one.

The mains cold supply is used to spin a turbine to boost the hot water flow

its not just the hot thats the problem. its cold and hot. tank is on the same floor as bathroom, up high and the cold has low pressure to start with

flow rate on cold is less than a combi would put out on hot

Simon says...

correct me if i am wrong but thats impossible.

Back to original post, how about adding a second feed for cold water from tank (higher than the cylinder feed) so that you have tank fed balanced supplys, and then connect to a pump for the shower (if your tank is big enough).

Sponsored Links
bster said:
Simon says...

correct me if i am wrong but thats impossible.

read carefully. i said the mains water seems to have a slower flow rate on full than a normal combi would put out on hot water.... i didnt say my house has a comb, just used a combi to describe the flow rate

bster said:
Back to original post, how about adding a second feed for cold water from tank (higher than the cylinder feed) so that you have tank fed balanced supplys, and then connect to a pump for the shower (if your tank is big enough).

you mean use the side tank on the elison tank or add a seperate next next to it for a cold feed?

bster said:
sorry matey ;)

whats an elison tank?

copper hot water tank. has a small tank on the side with the cold water in that then feeds to the hot water tank. could i take a feed from this, along with the hot, to the shower pump?

Is the tank seperate to the cylinder or rigidly fixed to it, what is the tank made out of?

I think i'm out of my depth now as i'm not sure what an elisson tank is :(

bster said:
Is the tank seperate to the cylinder or rigidly fixed to it, what is the tank made out of?

I think i'm out of my depth now as i'm not sure what an elisson tank is :(

just lookin at other threads on the site and it looks like it more commonly known here as a feed/expansion tank. its large copper tank for hot water with small cold water tank on the side of it

simon_d said:
bster said:
sorry matey ;)

whats an elison tank?

copper hot water tank. has a small tank on the side with the cold water in that then feeds to the hot water tank. could i take a feed from this, along with the hot, to the shower pump?

I'm interested now, can you take a picture of this elison tank setup? Is it similar to a header tank?

Spark123 said:
I'm interested now, can you take a picture of this elison tank setup? Is it similar to a header tank?

mate is away on hol with my digicam, so wont be able to get pics for a few days. they are very common in this area and in most houses (durham area) surely they would be similar throughout the country?

do you have heating. if so i think you may be referring to what i know to be a rolyatte(not sure on the spelling)

tbh as you can probably tell by my username I am not a plumber, I just like to find these things out.
The only systems I have ever looked at are gravity fed (header tank) and combi boilers.

Is it a combined unit or seperate tank and cylinder (unconnected except for pipework)

Has the tank and cylinder got any info on it...model and make etc?

its all one piece. it has a cold water in and an overflow connected to the little tank at top. on the side it has hot water out(22mm) and flow/return to backboiler (28mm) . and not surprisingly, its made be elison (might be ellison, cant remember and tank isnt at this house to look at). at a quick look, the flow/return to backboiler is connected to the smaller tank on side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back