tile adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a new ultra thin type of underfloor electric heating in my kitchen. My kitchen floor is concrete so i have to fit 9mm insulation slabs onto the conrete floor,then on top of that goes the ultra thin heating element, followed by a flexible tile adhesive in which the tiles are placed. The manufacturer states that in order for the insulation slabs to adhere to the concrete floor a tile adhesive should be placed onto the concrete floor and the insulation slabs put on top. What type of adhesive should i use and what thickness should it be?

thanks in advance

scott

Sponsored Links
With any type of UFH it is best to use a flexible tile adhesive even on a solid concrete floor.

I tend to use BAL products, either single part flexible, rapidset flexible or Motobond will do.

The depth of adhesive will be determined by how uneven your floor is but you will need a solid bed so use a solid bed flooring trowel - the type with the half round 20mm notches, this can also be used for your flooring.

BTW what make is the UFH?

Jason

underfloor electric heating
they USUALLY in the UK recommend a company for the mud/adhesive mix , if they say make ,
dont go with other on COST whatever ..ok ,trust me ,
as alot UFH fail tiles after a week due to wrong mud mix , lol

the name of the ompany supplying the ufh is accolade. A company from dunfermline in scotland. I assume the flexible tile adhesive will adhere the insulation slabs to the onrete floor, is there anything you reommend in preparing the oncrete floor? The only flexible tile adhesive i've seen at b&q is unibond flexible tile adhesive and grout which osts £25 for 3.6m2. Where do you purchase your tile adhesive from?

thanks for your advice

scott

Sponsored Links
Use a powdered adhesive from a decent tile supplier or if all else fails then Topps Tiles Keep BAL products.

Mos it's not the type of adhesive that causes failure within a week its the fact that they all say don't turn the UFH on for 4 weeks to allow full cure.

Jason

Jasonb
of course but try telling the householder not to try it ,lol ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back