New fireplace + gas fire problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all

I've just had a new fireplace + 5.7kw Genesis Roma gas fire fitted to my lounge (similar to this - http://www.genesisfires.co.uk/inset_fires.htm ). It's all been installed ok, but i've just got a general question. I've got a smoke detector fixed to the ceiling approx 1.5m from the fireplace. Everytime i use the fireplace, after approx 15-20mins use the smoke alarm goes off.

The gas fire itself is an 'open' fire with artificial coles placed over the burner. There has been a top cover plate/canopy fitted onto the fireplace..........i presume to stop any excess spillage?

I've rung the CORGI installer who tells me 'it was tested + installed ok, so don't worry'.

Now I've never has this type of gas fire before, so it's all new to me. Question is........is this apparent 'smoke spillage' normal?

Cheers for the advice in advance. ;)

Sponsored Links
Sounds odd to me, I'd call the fire manufacturer.

you have to verify that the smoke alarm is working correctly. do not use your fire until everything checks out.

Sponsored Links
I did try 2 other somke alarms i've got in the house.......all 3 went off.

I've rung Genesis (the fire manufacturer) + they reackon the precast flue iv'e got is the problem. He says it isn't drawing up the smoke as it should be.

I've just been into the loft + the party wall (where the precast flue goes up) is pretty blackish + dirty. Could it be that the previous gas fire has been leaking into the loft the last 30 yrs?????? Is there any way to test if the precast flue is actually leaking into the loft (other than putting a smoke detector into the loft)?

If it is leaking, the house is a 60 yr old semi.......is this something that's common? + how do you go about sealing it up???

Again cheers for the help all

ring the engineer back and explain the situation and ask him to return.he should have tested the flue with smoke and inspection.did he go into your loft.

peca27 wrote:

I've just been into the loft + the party wall (where the precast flue goes up) is pretty blackish

Do NOT use it. Get it checked properly. If the installer won't come back ring CORGI, they will send an inspector.

carbon monoxide wont trigger a smoke alarm off nor will heat, hence the name smoke alarm. Try moving the dam thing look at the instuctions for the smoke alarm and you will find it must be placed further away than 1.5m from a gas fire.

you should not have a smoke alarm fitted in the front room it should be fitted in the hall and landing, yea RING CORGI WHAT A JOKE.

Phone installer back up and tell him you have found signs of spillage in the loft. If the fire is spilling back into room excess heat onto fire can cause sensitive smoke alarms to go off . Have seen steam set them off in kitchens. Purely for there own peace of mind any installer would come back and check. When you say cover plate /canopy has been istalled to stop excess spillage can you discribe it better an where exactly fitted

I would ask the installer to come back and have a look at your concerns but it is likely that the smoke alarm is being triggered from the new parts of your fire burning off there protective coatings and should disappear fairly quickly.

I install gas fires as part of my business.
If I saw a post like this from one of my customers I would be horrified !
Have you lost confidence with the installer ?
Has he refused to return to satisfy your obvious worries ?

From reading the posts:

1. It is not uncommon for a new appliance to emit smoke for a short
while, this is enough to trigger a smoke alarm.

2. I doubt a 60 year old property would have a precast flue.

3. Did no-one see the engineer carry out a smoke test on the flue ?

Thanks for all the replies so far, i've rung the installer again to tell him about the possible spillage into the loft.....he's said 'i'll try to get round sometime this week' :rolleyes: I'm beginning to think this guy might not even be registered, it's my fault I just took his word for it. I've been on the CORGI website + can't find any of his details :oops: .

Namsag - the stainless steel canopy is fitted to the front / top of the fire thereby aiding any excess smoke to flow up into the precast flue. If you go to http://www.genesisfires.co.uk/inset_fires.htm + scroll 1/2 way down to 'The Roma Slimline Collection', there is a pic + description of the fire with canopy over it. As it says the 'the optional canopy gives greater flexibility on installation'.

Anjme - Apologies mate it's a 40 yr old semi, but it has defo got a precast flue + no i can't confirm if a smoke test was done.

It might even end up having to find an ACTUAL CORGI (ie, from the website) plumber + getting him in.

Of all my installs precast flues cause the most problems.
I am not familiar with this fire who supplied it ?
Supplying a canopy "in case of flue problems" sounds awful ! rather like a mechanic giving you an anchor after he has checked your brakes on the car !

I bought the fire + fireplace from a local retailer, like I say, the link in my prev post is to the gas fire suppliers..........i take it you've never heard of Genesis then?

I think the idea of supplying an optional canopy is for problems with difficult precast flues.........that's what Genesis told me anyway.

Why do precast flues cause you so many problems Anjme?

On a side note- how do you go about 'sealing' up a leak from the flue into the loft.......would you render over it or something else???? I'd like a general idea so if the plumber starts wanting to spend ££££££££ i can have an alternative for him.

Cheers ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back