No water in system!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced an old (very old!) upstairs radiator after draining the system. When I turned on the water again to test, the tank filled up with water, but no water has filtered down to any of the radiators. Ive tried opening up bleed valves - nothing happens and I also completely disconnected one side of the radiator - again nothing. Despite how this reads, I am quite proficient at DIY, but this time I'm stuck. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
blocked the cold feed either sludged or airlocked , try blowing down it.

I think bster is probably right but I doubt you'd be able to blow it out. More likely it will have to be cut out & replaced.
Although, sometimes, its just a blockage at the outlet of the cistern so I'd give that a poke first if I were you
garethgas

next time you drain down put a mesh across the cold feed outlet.

if you are draining down again put a gate on the cold feed near tank, this way you can drain down whilst holding the water level and debris\sludge in tank, though if there is any in there you may as well take it out and clean it.

Sponsored Links
would'nt want to suggest anything that might get out of hand but i allways 1st try reverse filling with a hose & jubilee on to drain off & check whats happening in f/e cistern while opo mans the outside tap. if u keep your thumb on the vent it's gota try to back feed in to the cistern .Allways have 2 mobiles to keep in contact to the tap opo to avoid a panic, Up to now iv cleared sludge, part of a mouse & even the remains of a bat this way. Better than driving a desk any day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back