Hotpoint WD63 won't drain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have got a Hotpoint WD63 that won't drain, although I'm fairly sure it isn't due to a blockage. I say that because two weeks ago I removed a sock, coint etc from the drain sump as it had been draining really slow - had to be put on spin about 10 times to get it to empty.

Having had that earlier problem with it, I know what the pump sounds like when it runs and it's deffinatly not running at all now.

When it's put to the spin cycle, it makes a small buzz for about a quater of a second (not sure where the buzz is coming from as not had the cover off this time) then the drum starts to spin but no pumping.

I'm wondering if all the extra spinning and pumping whilst it was blocked could have pushed the pump over the edge and killed the pump or whether it is timer related, pump looks easy enough to change, it seems fairly accessable and they don't cost a bomb unlike the timer.

Is there any way to determine what has failed?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Could be the pump has failed. However, possibly some debris got through into the pump and jammed it, hence the buzz. I'd check the pump again before buying a new one. Take the pump out of the machine and have a good look at it.

Ta, will pull it apart and give it a kick to see if that helps :)

Just a quick question, do these machines have a sensor to detect if they are full of water before allowing the (useless) tumble dryer part of it come on?

At the moment, it won't do anything when the dryer option is selected, although putting it on a wash cycle seems to follow the general motions of a wash with the exception of filling since I assume it detects it's already full of water...

Hoping this is by design rather than an indication the timer is knackered but I guess I've answered my own question anyway with the doesn't fill bit.

Sponsored Links
If it thinks it's full of water theres possibly a blockage in the pressure system. Find the thin bore tube, follow it to the pressure chamber on the tub and other way to the pressure switch.

Slightly delayed update,

Finally got round to doing something about it, have taken the machine apart and checked the power connector, when the machine is set to the spin cycle, there is 240V on the pump connector so it looks like the pump has died, will order a new one and hopefully that will sort it.

Slightly unusual question here, due to the amount of people in our house who insist on using the dryer function for hours for no reason, whats the easiest way to "break" the dryer fuction?

Disconnect a wire from one of the thermostats. Insulate it and tie it back out of the way.

Replaced the pump and it's now working fine, decided not to bother with killing the dryer in the end though.

Maybe I can stop smelling now :D

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back