painting cellar walls advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, saw someone else asking same question on an old thread but wasn't really answered. Just trying to clean up my cellar walls which I use as a workshop. Victorian house previously whitewashed. Some of it has flaked off to bare brick, some is dampish, some is sound. What can I paint over it with just to clean it up? I guess emulsion may not dry properly where its' damp and will flake off the old whitewash. Would it actually be best to use actual whitewash again and is it still available these days? Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can buy Cellar paint...Jonhstones do one

But be warned..it stinks to high heaven. (whatever that smells like)

You could also try damp proofing paint but its only really effective if you source of the damp has been stopped.

thanks I'll look out for that. I found another topic and someone used UGL Drylok but I can't find a UK supplier on the internet, does anyone know if it's avilable in the DIY shops?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back