Risk of overheating a TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a portable TV in our conservatory, but as it gets a lot of sunlight, I am concerned about the risk of overheating it or causing a fire.

It is very hard to find a spot where it is not possible for it to be in the sunlight. It is a CRT television, as opposed to LCD or plasma. Is there any less danger of overheating with LCD or plasma? Indeed, is there any risk of overheating a CRT TV at all?

Our conservatory glass is pilkington K argos filled, and the roof is opal translucent polycarbonate.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I had considered that, but if the window is behind the TV, the screen will not be facing towards the sun - in this case I would just be concerned about the possiblity of it overheating from the back.

Sponsored Links
I am sure your fears are unfounded if the portable you have is new or fairly modern they consume quite low levels of power to start with and providing the cabinet vents are not covered there should be no problem with ventilation. All tv,s including portable tv,s are now fitted with power supplies which monitor overheating, overcurrent, and overvoltage and if any of these rise the power unit simply closes down as if switched into standby.That is why modern tv,s catching fire is now extremely rare these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back