How do I/should I replace a circuit breaker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom light, fan extractor, overhead kitchen light and overhead living room light are not working. Strangely, the breaker itself did not trip, I checked it as soon as I discovered the lights weren't working but it was still in the on position. All my other overhead lights are working and on a separate breaker. So, could it be the fuse in the breaker that's gone?

I've taken out all of the light bulbs, checked them in other lights and they were all working. rI've eplaced them but my overhead lights still don't work.

My circuit breaker box is 10yrs old. The breakers themselves look like pull out cartridge *plugs* - after switching off the electricity I tried to ease the light breaker out but I don't seem to have the strength to do that.

How do I get the fuse out of this circuit breaker, I've uploaded a pic, the box itself is a Wylex. Could I/ should I change it myself?

Here's a pic:

CIMG0938.jpg

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Although it is possible for an MCB to fail, it is much more likely that you have a loose connection - either in a junction box, or in a ceiling rose. Unless someone has been putting nails or screws through a wall or floor and damaged a cable.

If you can work out which is the first rose on the lighting circuit, are you equipped to test for voltage in it?

p.s. Breakers do not have fuses in them.

As John says, you have MCB's which are resettable switches, not fuses.

Try operating the "faulty" one a few times. Does it feel the same as the one that is working?

If you have a multimeter, great!

Hey there

Thanks for your fast replies.

JohnD - I'm afraid I don't have a voltage meter. No, there's been no damage done to any cables or walls/floors. If it's a junction box or a ceiling rose then i'll need to call in an electrician, that's way beyond me. :oops:

Securespark - I've just tried the *faulty* one and it's a lot looser than all of the rest, it's the only one I think I could ease out and replace.

Any ideas?

Many thanks for your time and knowledge.
Karen

Sponsored Links
Although some older Wylex MCBs are plug-fit, your consumer Unit does not look like that range to me. The plug-in ones usually stick out enough to grab hold of.

I am anxious that the looseness you feel might be the casing of the MCB cracked or broken... would not like to think of you pulling it apart!

JohnD said:
Although some older Wylex MCBs are plug-fit, your consumer Unit does not look like that range to me. The plug-in ones usually stick out enough to grab hold of.

I am anxious that the looseness you feel might be the casing of the MCB cracked or broken... would not like to think of you pulling it apart!

Hey John

I think I'm completely out of my depth here, I'll give a local electrician a call, would rather not have sparks flying!

Many thanks for your help and advice
Karen

oh, by the way, your installation was due for an inspection 5 years ago, oh, and another one is due in 3 months.

does anyone take any notice of those stickers? :evil:

kar823, all you need to do is loosen the screw-on cover on your ceiling roses and check the terminals are all tight, and theres no loose wires flapping about. Then try the switches, THEN call an electrician.

But if you dont feel confident, call an electrician to start with.

Your consumer unit has MCBs - miniature circuit breakers - these act like a fuse, but have the advantage of being resettable when they trip. These do not pull out. To remove them, you have to take the cover off the consumer unit - not something you should be doing unless you know what you're doing, since they are meant to be permenant.

Some old Wylex standard boxes were fitted with plug-in MCBs which do pull out, but these are being replaced with more modern consumer units like yours. Your box has the advantage of having RCD protection, something that was never offered by old Wylex standard boxes. An RCD protects against electric shock and earth leakage, and are required by the regulations nowadays, which explains the decline of popularity of Wylex standard boxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back