8 DOWNLIGHTS 1 SWITCH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I HAVE RECENTLY HAD A SINGLE EXTENSION BUILT BUT WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET IN THE ROOF SPACE ONCE IT IS FINISHED. SO I WANT TO KEEP THINGS TO A MINIMUM. I WANT TO INSTALL 8 MAINS DOWNLIGHTS TO ONE SWITCH BUT THE INSTRUCTIONS RECOMMEND TO USE A JUNCTION BOX TO INSTALL THE LIGHTS AND NOT TO LOOP THEM. I PLAN TO TAKE THE POWER FROM THE ceiling ROSE IN THE ROOM NEXT TO THE EXTENSION RUN THIS TO A JUNCTION BOX UNDER THE FLOOR IN ONE OF THE BEDROOMS TO THE ROOF VOID AND THEN RUN THE WIRE OUT FROM THE JUNCTION BOX TO EACH LIGHT SO AS TO SPREAD THE LOAD. NOT SURE THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS AS THE BIGGEST JUNCTION BOX I HAVE SEEN HAS ONLY 6 TERMINALS AND I WILL HAVE EIGHT WIRES COMING BACK FROM EACH LIGHT FOR LIVE AND NEUTRAL PLUS THE SWITCH DOES THIS MAKE SENSE COULD I NOT JUST LOOP THEM? HELP

Sponsored Links
loop them, but use 1.5 mm twin and earth, and please do not SHOUT

AND ALSO BE CAREFUL OF WHAT THE POWER (WATTAGE) YOUR SWITCHES CAN HANDLE :eek:
( Thats made me feel better !! )

AND DONT FORGET (OK JOKE OVER) you should make some kind of access possible in the future you may need access to joints etc.... how about a loft hatch?

Sponsored Links
Nice to see that the art of comedy has not died! THANKS for your help, why would the instructions recommend to use a jb instead of loop, just wondered? Pitch of roof is that shallow that loft access would not be possible unless you know some small child who is use to going up and down chimneys!!

Scoby_Beasley said:
AND ALSO BE CAREFUL OF WHAT THE POWER (WATTAGE) YOUR SWITCHES CAN HANDLE :eek:
( Thats made me feel better !! )

Aren't all light switches at least 5A? That would give him 150W per downlighter, which ought to be enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back