Soil stack and building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found out recently that any work on the soil stack is covered by building regs, does this mean I need to notify building control and have it inspected?

I want to replace a section of the stack and add some new connections to it.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you're right about all soil stack work being notifable. Where did you read this?

From here; (link is a pdf file)

page 27

If I want to install fittings such as a WC, shower, washbasin, or
kitchen sink within my home, or any other type of building,
will the Building Regulations apply?

YES – if the installation of the fitting or fittings will involve
alterations to, or new connections to, a drainage stack or an
underground drain.

I don't know if all work is notifiable, that's why I'm asking.

:)

Pardon my language for a moment, but Explanatory Booklet my a*se. The following words illustrate exactly what a bunch of t*ss has been written in the pursuit of being "explanatory" (sic.).

[code:1](r)(i) If I want to install fittings such as a WC, shower, washbasin, or
kitchen sink within my home, or any other type of building,
will the Building Regulations apply?

YES – if the installation of the fitting or fittings will involve
alterations to, or new connections to, a drainage stack or an
underground drain. You should also check with your Building
Control Service to find out how much information is required
about the fittings you intend to use.

NO – provided the work only involves installing an additional
fitting or fittings in the same or a new location which does not
involve extensions to the drainage pipework.
[/code:1]
The two paragraphs aren't even mutually consistent! Apparantly, if a change involves the soil stack but not extending the drainage network, then the BR's both apply and don't apply. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The phrase "extensions to the drainage pipework" does that apply to the main stack or branches feeding into it.
I guess a call to your local bc office should clarify it.
Remember each council interprets the regs as they see fit, it is not an exact science so I have been told by many a bc officer.
Pete

Fluffster said:
The phrase "extensions to the drainage pipework" does that apply to the main stack or branches feeding into it?
It's open to interpretation. Mine is that the drainage network is the underground sewer system, and that it ends where your soil system goes underground.

Please bear in mind that those Explanatory Booklets have absolutely no legislative influence - they represent the ODPM's interpretation of the Building Regulations, and contain advice on how to apply that interpretation.

I guess a call to your local bc office should clarify it.
Usually. Sometimes it makes things less clear, but in my experience the BCO goes away and seeks clarification when needed.

Remember each council interprets the regs as they see fit, it is not an exact science so I have been told by many a bc officer.
Pete
I concur.

Ok, it looks like the best thing to do is to contact the bcs.

Thanks for the help.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back