How do i regulate the water temperature of my boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Would like to reduce the temperature of the water that the boiler is heating it to. It is hot to the point where it is scalding all the time.

I took the insulation off the boiler at weekend although can find nothing in the cupboard or on the boiler to do this.

The equipment looks quite old. Was thinking about asking landlord but she's a bit div and dont think im gonna get anywhere on that front.

Cheers

M-O-R

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo M_O_R
do you mean the hot water cylinder!!![hot water tank]

is it heated by the boiler or by electric element [emersion heater]or both!!!!

does the water stay very very hot when boilers been off for hours and youve been using loads off water !!!

Big all,

Thanks for reply. Been out of country for while so took a little while to respond.

Im gonna sound extra extra stupid now...

Dont know difference between a cylinder & tank (is the tank the thing in the loft?). One can presume by the word "cylinder" that you are reffering to the big metal round thing thats got insultation wrapped round it in the cupboard?

What is an emersion heater? (sorry!!!)

Dont know answer to last question. Dont really ever turn the water off as you do this via a switch in the cupboard. The water will stay hot but not scalding and after a day or two it will be luke warm.

Sorry again for my ignorance on the plumbing front.

I am still none the wiser to my questions :)

Cheers

M-O-R

You are correct about tank and cylinder

An immersion heater is basically a big electric heating element which sits in the hot water cylinder and heats the water. The thermostat on the heater controls the temperature of the water.

It sounds like you have an immersion heater by the way you swicth it on and off. Should be a wire running from the switch to the cylinder if this is the case.

There is some info on immersion heaters here, I think including reducing the temp on the thermostat.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62007

Sponsored Links
still havent worked out wether you have gas central heating and the the immersion heater!!!!!! :D :D

if you have both make shure the electric immersion heater is always turned "OFF" its a back up only if for any reason you cant heat the water by gas

although i am slightly confused at the hot water eventualy cools down after several day!!!!!!!!!!
or is this after several days away!!!

big-all said:
still havent worked out wether you have gas central heating and the the immersion heater!!!!!! :D :D

if you have both make shure the electric immersion heater is always turned "OFF" its a back up only if for any reason you cant heat the water by gas

although i am slightly confused at the hot water eventualy cools down after several day!!!!!!!!!!
or is this after several days away!!!

Thanks for the replies guys...

I have no gas. Just electric.

My immersion heater has always been switched on. I have took off the insulation and cant find a thermostat anywhere. Its pretty ridiclious because there MUST be one - surely?

i have now come to turning the switch off in the mornings before i go work and turning back on when i get in. Is this a good idea? My electric bills are sky high so would imagine this would help them.

Cheers

M-O-R

This is an immersion heater, the thermostat is inside it. See the other thread referenced above. The long loop is invisible, inside the cylinder.

Turn all the power off. Remove the nut indicated, lift off the cap and you'll see the thermostat, with temperatures marked. You can adjust it with a small screwdriver. They used to fail HOT, new ones are safer cos they don't. Easy to change the thermostat.

ImmersionHeater.gif
Thermostat:
10300.gif

ChrisR said:
This is an immersion heater, the thermostat is inside it. See the other thread referenced above. The long loop is invisible, inside the cylinder.

Turn all the power off. Remove the nut indicated, lift off the cap and you'll see the thermostat, with temperatures marked. You can adjust it with a small screwdriver. They used to fail HOT, new ones are safer cos they don't. Easy to change the thermostat.

ImmersionHeater.gif
Thermostat:
10300.gif

Chris - your a star...

Thats where the bugger is!

Also:

Put the insulation back on. You are throwing money away otherwise. you can also get a new or additional red quilted jacket for it that will save more money than it costs.

If the thermostat is faulty so that the heater does not switch off when the water reaches temperature (this is also throwing money away) then I would have expected your landlord (if a rented home) to be responsible for fixing it. Running the immersion heater (constantly on) costs about 25pence per hour.

i would also suggest you only need the hot water on for about 2 hrs a day plus or minus 1hr dependant on use
half the time in the morning half in the evening

dependant on use
if you only have a wash in the sink for example in the morning and you dont wash the dishes or do your washing before the evening you wont need the immeresion on in the morning at all ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back