greasy marks on washing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have black greasy marks on my washing. I have run a hot wash in the hope of cleaning the machine but now it seems even worse the washing is coming out with dirty marks with the imprint of the holes in the drum.

I haven't washed any greasy clothes in the machine so can't think where the marks are coming from.

The washing machine is only just over a year old and hasn't had much use. In fact it stood unused in a garage for 4 months

Sponsored Links
is your m/c noisy when it spins?

it sounds like the bearings are going / gone.

company i used to work for it was better / cheaper to get new m/c

the seals on the top of the aggitate/spin shaft are leaking. thus the grease from the enclosed bearings is leaking into the machine causing your black greasy marks. Check with a shop as to the cost of repairs then cross this with the cost of a new machine.
Good luck!

smithman said:
the seals on the top of the aggitate/spin shaft are leaking. thus the grease from the enclosed bearings is leaking into the machine causing your black greasy marks. Check with a shop as to the cost of repairs then cross this with the cost of a new machine.
Good luck!

Thanks this seems a more likely explanation as the machine is not very old. I thought it could be to do with Mould forming on the back of the drum where the machine had stood unused, so have done a couple of runs on hot with just detergent and bleach and no clothes. The last wash that I did to try and remove the stains from the marked washing did not seem to add any new stains. Do not have insurance so will wait and see what happens with further washes.

Would the leak on the seals be caused by the fact that the machine wasn't used?

Sponsored Links
check the other post about mold. It's possible that that is your only problem and not the seals. If problem persists get the seals checked. Being stored after being used can cause the seals to dry out and possibly crack. but see if the soda and the vinegar work first. Always go with the cheaper route if you can. It saves a lot of frustration.

but how hard or easy did you find it to get thm out / new in? and how long was it (time)

Managed the job in an evening, putting bearings in no prob, removal was easy enough too but I suppose at this point I should say I am a marine engineer and had access to a set of bearing pullers.

ali68 said:
had access to a set of bearing pullers.

that explains it. we had to do it in less than 45mins (m/c in bits old bearings out new in all back together, i never managed it used to take me just over an hour, but i dont do it anymore.

i think smithman is "off bsae" the seals on the top of the aggitate/spin shaft are leaking front loaders don't have a spin / aggitate shaft. Top loaders do. Top loaders are the "norm" in America /Canada

That is of course unless it is a top loader

My machine is doing much the same - I think though that the bearings went on my Servis machine as the vibration on fast spin means I have to clear the kitchen surfaces before I use it otherwise the dishes break and micowave crashes to floor. If I use a slower spin the washing is often as wet as if I'd handwashed it.

Given that I think I probably need a new machine can anyone suggest a reliable machine - without too much vibration that spins my washing so I don't have to mop the drips off the floor when I take it out?

most washing machines are good at their job, PROVIDED you look after them, the usualy cause of worn bearings is overloading, our hotpoint is over 5 years old and still going strong, only had to change 1 set of motor brushes.

The reason it is doing so well is because when loading it NEVER gets over loaded.

when you put in your wash load you should always be able to see the back of the drum across the top of the wash load without having to push the washload down, if you cant see it take some out.

I recal once having to have to remove a small carpet, no not a rug, a carpet from a m/c. i have no idea what the persom was thinking of putting in a carpet into a washing m/c but if that's not abuse i do not know what is.

You're probably quite right - I do have a very heavy wash load with a small child and messy husband - and I regulary put single duvets in and frequently put in a small rug.

However that does not repair the machine - I also had a Zanussi machine for well over 10 years which put up with my abuse uncomplainingly.

Although Iadmit the small child did finish it off shortly after she was born.

However, are there no such things as heavy duty washing machines for heavy duty families?

as it happens there is. a hot point top loader will take more general abuse, but not a rug (but they do cost a fair bit more)

incidentally, this rug, not rubber backed is it?

no not the normal rugs I wash - although the bath mats are rubber backed but they do say on the label you can put them in the machine

thanks for the tip about the top loader

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back