Plumbing - copper v plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: We are in the process of house renovations. Our plumber has asked us to consider using plastic in lieu of copper in the bathrooms & laundry because of the high water pressure that may result in water hammer. He said plastic would prevent the hammer & he'd pass on an estimated cost saving by using plastic. Apart from the environmental issues I've read that copper is better lasting, easy to fix and better for prevention of bacteria in water. Can anyone recommend plastic over copper? With thanks.

Sponsored Links
A pressure rgulating valve will also prevent water hammer.
As for cost plastic is more expensive in the UK.

As for easy to fix etc plastic may even have an edge as all you do is cut it with a shears so difficult spaces not a problem.

I am a lover of copper as it is what I trained with extensively at college however for certain installations plastic is perfectly viable in all aspects.

As for longevity copper has provewn itself over the decades plastic is a relative newbie early plastic pipe was inferior to the present plastic available as too are the fittings.

If you live in extreme temp climate plastic has the edge over copper.

Overall really a personal decision
Pete

I have the same dilema for my basement shower room ...

Do most plumbers still use copper?

Is the only advantage of plastic speed of cutting and not subject to freezing temp splitting?

Sponsored Links
copper has better flow rates. Fittings are cheaper. Copper is esaier to make neat. Copper has smaller fittings. Copper has recycling value.

You're lucky your plumber gave you a choice.

Plastic is used extensively now in new build housing. Nowt wrong with it where it's not on show.

Copper is 'nicer' though. But please do not paint it as millions have done before you in thick gloss paint, as this is a crime punishable by death.

Copper is 'nicer' though. But please do not paint it as millions have done before you in thick gloss paint, as this is a crime punishable by death.

Yep, use something like polytex instead - much harder to get off ;)

Nothing wrong with a blast of MAPP gas to get the bugger off. Fumes? What fumes!? :LOL:

Nothing wrong with a blast of MAPP gas to get the b*****r off. Fumes? What fumes!? :LOL:

I find oxyacetylene much more effective - especially when dealing with plastic pipes :LOL: :LOL:

Nothing wrong with a blast of MAPP gas to get the b*****r off. Fumes? What fumes!?

The only problem with that is it plays havoc with Doreen and Cyril's nice Wilton carpet and their lustrous skirting boards.

Am a bugger for leaving scorch marks.

Nothing wrong with a blast of MAPP gas to get the b*****r off. Fumes? What fumes!?

The only problem with that is it plays havoc with Doreen and Cyril's nice Wilton carpet and their lustrous skirting boards.

Am a b*****r for leaving scorch marks.

Just throw a tee shirt over it before you leave. Covers up most things, and that's why when I travel abroad I always buy a couple of hundred of cheapo ones in case.

copper has better flow rates. Fittings are cheaper. Copper is esaier to make neat. Copper has smaller fittings. .

True, true.

Also, plastic can be gnawed by rodents (and termites, seeing where the OP is located); and so can electric cable PVC insulation, by the way.

Copper has recycling value.

And because of that, the ****** will nick it for scrap, given a chance. Plastic has no scrap value but is easily vandalized. Copper plumbing will vanish from an unoccupied house in days.

Plastic should always be pressure tested after installation to 10 or 18 bar (and it very rarely is) or the manufacturer's guarantee is invalid.

Plastic push-fit is installed very quickly and is excellent for temporary lash-ups. Unfortunately permanent push-fit installations do tend to look like temporary lash-ups.

Plastic press-fit PEX is unbeatable for pipe-in-screed UFH installations.

Horses for courses, they both have advantages and disadvantages. Plastic plumbing is just another technique. Plastic push-fit is favoured by DIYers and developers because the skill required is minimal and the labour costs are greatly reduced.

But the plumbing in my house is copper ;) .

Best use for plastic I've seen is when threading pipes through a diffcult maze of joists and stud walls. It's ideal for that but I still prefer copper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back