dirty dishes on top rack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Kenmore dishwasher about 16 years old. Last week I noticed that the dishes in the top rack were not getting clean. After some checking, we found that the upper spray arm was barely moving, and the water was just trickling out. Does anyone have any ideas? I have checked all the holes and they are all clear as are all the filters.

Sponsored Links
kmack said:
I have a Kenmore dishwasher about 16 years old. Last week I noticed that the dishes in the top rack were not getting clean. After some checking, we found that the upper spray arm was barely moving, and the water was just trickling out. Does anyone have any ideas? I have checked all the holes and they are all clear as are all the filters.

I have eaxctly the same problem but my Kenmore is only 4 years old.Additionaly the detergent dispenser doesnt get fully empty---not enough spray I guess. I cleaned all the holes but that didnt work and the fine filter is clear.
I wonder if the pump has worn,giving inadequate pressure. though this problem happened suddenly.

THe upper spray has probably blocked up. remove it & clear the holes

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:
THe upper spray has probably blocked up. remove it & clear the holes
As noted in both the previous queries on this subject--THE HOLES HAVE ALL BEEN CLEARED AND THE PROBLEM PERSISTS

The first thing I would do is check and make sure the water level for the dishwasher is correct. Start the dishwasher as you normally would and when you hear it finish filling and start spraying, turn it off and check the water level as it should be just under the heating element. If not , you probably need a new water valve.

Thank you handyman 1962.
I checked and water lebvel is ok.
I did find on opening the door during operation that while water dribbled from the top spray it did not appear to have rotated.There is no binding in the spray so inadequate pressure/flow comes to mind---is there an internal filter which could be semi plugged?

That is my question exactly. I don't have the manual for our dishwasher, so I was wondering if there was another filter. I did take off the one under the lower washer arm, and it was not blocked at all. I thought possibly the pump wasn't putting out enough to get the water to the upper rack. I did however run the machine with just the lower rack filled, and I noticed that those dishes were not exactly clean either. I had a pool of soap sitting on the bottom of the machine at the end of the cycle.

my problem came on suddenly as well, and my water level is also fine, although it does come over the heating element slightly.

I have the Sears Parts list etc.I think the screen you are referring to is their ACCUMULATOR COVER.It appears that around the pump impeller area there is SEPERATION SCREEN. There is also mention of THE CHOPPER AND FILTER BOX MAY BE SERVICED WITHOUT REMOVING THE PUMP. It is not clear but it appears that they are now referring to a "box" below the Accumulator cover since they refer to taking out 4 screws"ON TOP OF THE FILTER ASSEMBLY" and these are the only 4 screws I note in their diagrams. I gather you have already established this filter is clean--as I have too.This then apparently only leaves this SEPERATION SCREEN or the Impeller itself as likely causes of our problem.

dfcp may be right. If you are sure the sprayarms are not clogged or split anywhere and as you both stated, both have plenty of water in the basin. I would start looking for the reason the pump is not pumping the water. I am not sure what model of dishwashers you both have but if you go to ww3.sears.com and plug in your model number it should give you a breakdown of your pump and motor. If your motor IS working and you both checked the above, I would start checking the pump assembly for something obstructing it from pumping the water through the sprayarms. Something is probably clogging it along the way.

Kenmore model 665 17514201--performance deteriorated so that even the bottom spray arm was not turning--I was afraid to go into the guts so got Sears guy--quick and correct diagnosis--plugged chopper---turned out the chopper blade had broken off its plastic drive shaft so that the screen became plugged,water flow was impeded and the rest is history.All you have to do is remove the lower spray arm,remove the plastic feed channel to the upper arm,remove the screws from the accumulator assembly,lift that off and the chopper assembly can easily be identified and then be got at, removed and replaced.Total time well uder an hour. P/n 8268383 is the chopper assembly--screen,chopper blade and screen-$14.96 . Instead of a Service Call for $69 I had bought a one year service---- and warranty--on this problem only I think --for $179. The guy told me that it would have been $162 if I had gone the Service Call route

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back