BROKEN PULLEY ON INDESIT WASHER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Have got an Indesit wg1130t washer. Has been making a rythmic tapping + scraping noise for past few weeks. This morning, wife turned washer on and it sounded like an high pitched drill with the drum not moving. Have taken the back off and found that the pulley has sheared off from its position with the stem into the centre of the rear of the drum. The remaining bit of the stem is 'retained' by a 17mm nut. How do i get this nut off, cos when I try to turn it, the drum rotates. Is it a case of holding onto the drum while trying to undo nut (tried, no luck). Have located spare pulley on internet so it must be able to be removed to allow for fixing of a replacement.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
On a HP you put a "U bolt" through it to stop it moving

I should also point out we used to put "loctite thread locker" on to make sure it never came off, so its not unusual to have to hit the spanner with a hammer to break the seal. we also had a ring spanner just for the job

As the pulley has snapped away from the centre piece you'll need assistance with this one. Apply some heat to the nut, get someone to hold the drum while you try to undo the nut.
There is loctite on these, the heat should soften the loctite and allow you to get the nut off.

nice one. the wife's got arms like cottonbuds and not much help!!! will the nut that is there now be ok to use again? also with the pulley coming off and the belt, is it worth replacing the belt as well and which do i put the belt on first - the pulley or drive end of the motor?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should be fine to reuse the nut.
To replace the belt, put it over the motor shaft first, feed it onto the pulley, cable tie it to the pulley and turn the drum. Should go on easy and no cut/nipped fingers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back