Potterton Suprima 50 keeps cutting out and is very noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 4 year old Potterton Suprima 50 wall mounted boiler connected to a Gledhill boiler-mate 3. The boiler has always been a little noisy ( rumbling /vibrating noise) but hasalways worked. It has now started to cut out ( leaving a flashing red light) By pressing reset it starts up again.

Over the last two months the frequency of it cutting out has increased from about once a week to about ten times a day.

Do I have two problems here (air in the system?) and a fault in the boiler, or are the two likely to be related? How do I bleed it and what else could be causing it?

About a month ago we had an engineer who suggested to us that these models of Pottertons need to have a replacement PCB because of some design fault. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
i had the exact same problem the noise was the fan and the cut off i have no idea but still get it

Thanks Y I Orta, The mystery is that it hasn't cut out at all in the two days since I posted my note. I think that it just has an attitude problem and needs to see a psychiatrist

The boiler knows what you've been up to and is trying to confuse you.
But not to worry it will resort to lockouts sooner or later.
It probablely needs to see a electronics engineer with a magnifying glass and a soldering iron to reflow some of the soldered joints on the pcb.
Or it may be happier with a new improved pcb (150.00)
Why not do a search on this forum, there's plenty of information.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You were spookily accurate Mandate- woke up to cold water this morning.

Honestly, the only way that I can possibly know that this useless piece of expensive junk in my cupboard is a boiler is because it's got Potterton written on it - certainly the temperature of my water gives me no clues. javascript:emoticon(':(')

I shall get Potterton to change the PCB and sort out the noise and see the psychiatrist myself - he offers a special discount for anger management.

Still on the positive side - my gas bills are very low (because my boiler hardly ever burns it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back