Landlords gas safety

you may as well service the b****y things while doing a cp12.
No way :evil: I refuse to be a charity worker!

Another contentious one on fires: Suppose it's the tenant's fire. Do you have to flow test the (landlord's) flue on a LGSR? My answer is no, unless I'm being paid extra to do it.

Sponsored Links
such is life mate

I got a *******ing today cos it took me an hour and a half to service a suprima, now dont take the michael I have never a heat exchanger so badly blocked that took for ever to get them clean.

it was a beeeatch

I told him to get stuffed as that was how long it took to do the blooming job and thats that

But he is ok, he does rather live and die the safety side so would prefer that time gets taken than a mistake gets made, he just likes to moan, he is a plumber when all is said and done :)

Whilst most gas fires would have a metal plate with the relevant holes in the required places, are they really "At Risk" if the plate is made of brick but has the relevant holes and its still possible to inspect and clear the 2.5 litres of catchment space ???

Sponsored Links
corgi`s` stand on it is it must have a closer plate, and that plate must be removed on the safety check to ensure (2L) 2dm or (12L) 12dm is provided. also need to look up the flue to check the damper plate if the flue ever had one has been remove.

if not you go to corgi hell
said my old college tutor(ex BG)

2 litres not 2.5!
My corgi inspector insisted it wasn't 2 litres, cos it says 2 dm³ in the book :rolleyes:
He also insisted that it is a requirement to put your head in and LOOK UP THE CHIMNEY!! Wouldn't accept a torch and mirror. Berk.

I bought an endoscope thinking it would save me time by poking it through the hole at the bottom of the closure plate, instead of removing the CP. Had a rethink when I found a dead bird in a flue spigot.

chrisR next time you see MR corgi inpector tell him that he needs to go back to school. 2 L is the same as 2 dm it the same volume just different units. even says that in the holly book its self

can someone clear this up for me as im confused.... I have never heard of re issuing a GSC (CP12) everytime you replace a fire/ boiler or any other gas appliance. I have been in the gas industry doing GSC for 9 years now and i have never heard of that before. I always thought a GSC had to be carried out on a annual basis regarless.

Thats all quite correct Mickey. CP12 every 12 months.

Chris is partly wrong about testing the Landlord's gas fire flues.

He is required to test the Landlords flues if they are being used by the tennant for his fire.

He should charge the Landlord for testing his flue.

I once presented a Court case about the flues and we won! Landlord rented property without heating. Tenant fitted fires. One flue was/became blocked but Landlord refused to correct it. Court found that the flue was part of the rented flat and therefore the Landlord had to keep it in good working order.

Tony

plumber (new blood) said:
chrisR next time you see MR corgi inpector tell him that he needs to go back to school. 2 L is the same as 2 dm
Jeez, do you really think I don't know that? Hence the " :rolleyes: ". I would hardly have spelled it out and used bold.. .

-----

Agile said:
Chris is partly wrong about testing the Landlord's gas fire flues.
Here we go again! Tony's memory has failed him again, we've been round it on another site.
Obviously the landlord is responsible for repairing the flue. Your court case is irrelevant - it says nothing about the tenant's responsibility to test the flue. Mend the flue does not mean test the flue, got it?? :eek:

The landlord does NOT have to test all chimneys/flues in a property just in case a tenant fits a fire. I'm not going to dig it out again, but there's stuff on the corgi site, or linked to it, which says that just as it's the tenants responsibility to test the appliance, it is also his responsibility to test the flue.

SO
He is required to test the Landlords flues if they are being used by the tennant for his fire.
is not what the literature says.

According to the checklist on the back of this Regin LGSC form
Item 12:-
Test all disturbed gas connections for tightness using a leak detection fluid. Carry out a full gas tightness test if necessary

I do the tightness test as a matter of course unless I have been working on the gas there myself very recently or I am following a transco guy into a place.

Due to various factors I was almost tempted to skimp on a tightness test yesterday. Glad I didn't though..... I found a tenants own cooker that I had no obligation to inspect which was leaking quite badly. The occupant said he couldnt smell anything but then again he has an oxygen mask strapped to his face all day

What hits me about Tonys case is the fact that the guy doing an LGSC does not have to inspect a fire that does not belong to the landlord. So how can the landlord be responsible for a flue where he is not obliged to have the fire at the bottom of it tested?

how can the landlord be responsible for a flue
In the same way he has to provide a roof which doesn't leak. That doesn't mean he has to test it!
If he rents the place stating the flues are not usable, then he doesn't have the responsibility. I know places where that is the case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back