NO HOT WATER OR HEATING.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've searched the forum for the answer to this but can't find an answer.
I have a RANDALL 4033, when I turn on either hot water or heating nothing happens. I got another 4033 from the car boot which had an idiots guide with it. From this i tested all the wires and they all are live when they should be. The valve on the pipe coming out of the bottom of the tank is a HONEYWELL V4043H1056 ( no dimple, see learnt something!) It is a 2 port. Took the cover off and when I turn the switch (*) in the feed wire on and off the motor runs and I can see the arm moving until it hits the microswitch. The manual lever feels sloppy and I can't see if it moves anything. I cannot see if when the motor turns the actual valve!!
From what I have gleaned on here, shouldn't I have 2 valves? One for the heating and one for the water?
Just had a thought, turning the switch on the controller does not operate the valve!
(*) This switch which is next to the boiler and valve has a cable IN I assume from the controller, then between the switch and the valve is a junction box where the cable from the tank thermostat joins.
So where is my other valve if there is one, could it be the tank thermostat duff, and why when the switch next to the boiler is on and the valve opens (Which seems to me to be all the time no matter what the controller position is) doesn't the fire kick in?
Thanks in advance to you all, I've learnt a lot already.

Sponsored Links
U might be jumping ahead a wee bit. are u sure the fault isnt the boiler. is the pump running. Is there a room stat & if so is it turned up. what sort of boiler is it.

if the motor is turning it will be opening up the port.

the question is if when it motors over does the microswith switch perm. live to common (orange) if it does then this is the last sequence and should then send power to boiler and pump

sorry i cant quite understand what this switch is and/or if your programmers working (im tired!)

You may not have 2 valves,if you have got pumped heating and gravity primaries (HW) then you probably have a 2 port valve on your hot water circuit which is activated by your cylinder stat. Your heating will work when a demand is created via your boiler or wall thermostat or programmer. If you say you have no heating or hot water then it may be a boiler fault-more details required.

Sponsored Links
The boiler is a gas one behind the fire in the fireplace. No idea what make. (The gas fire works) The room thermostat is on max. Don't thinkl the heating pump is running, I've had trouble in the past telling if it is on or not it is so smooth.

Gas fire will work indendant to back boiler. is there a pilot on your boiler & if so is it lit.

If your pilot isnt lit-try lighting it if you know how and if it wont stay lit then that is your problem,usually means a faulty thermocouple or gas valve,either way,time to call an engineer. ;)

Can't see a pilt light, or even where it should be, will have to take fire off wall :eek: Cross your fingers and thanks so far.

no dont touch fire. although there should be a removable panel at bottom of fire which gives access to boiler stat as well as pilot lighting controls,

Chances are if you can't see the pilot its probably out,I wouldn't recommend taking the fire off the wall as it is joined to the back boiler by a gas pipe and is really a job for a qualified person to do that,have you tried re-lighting the pilot with the grey button and igniter button?

Right, lifted the front off the fire, no screws in the bottom! It is a GLOWORM MAJORCA TWO. The ignition button is not doing anything, turned the pilot switch on and off, no change. There are some white braided covered wires at the right underside. Couple of those are hanging loose. Can't see where they should be attached to. Can I light the pilot with a flame if I find where it is?
This may be all good timing, this thing is prehistoric even to my untrained eye, been meaning to get another for a while.

Worked out where the pilot light is, not on. The ignitor aint!!! When i push the pilt button in I can hear the gas so must be the pilot light has gone out and not relit. They are supposed to relight themselves arn't they? Will have a go at lighting it with a flame. If you hear a big bang over Daventry then you know I may not be posting again!

The 2 braided wires you mentioned may just be connected to a battery carrier which just could be the ignition source-ie-heated element or spark-i bet the batteries either are not there or they are flat as a witches t*t.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back