1" pipework and suitable couplers

doitall said:
How can it wash away ? its trapped under a nut.
If you're saying that no part of the compound comes into contact with moving water, then I don't understand why you would put any of it on. If, on the other hand, you concede that it does come into contact with moving water, which, in some applications, is also hot, then I think the answer is obvious.

You use ptfe based products or hemp for male threads, and I suspect its the rubbish training and lack of ability thats the problem.
Make them do the repairs at their own cost
What are you talking about? Make who do the repairs?

So its a personal choice then, and not a question of one being better than the other. [/b]
It's my personal choice to use the better product. The one that is quicker to apply, doesn't ooze, and will never, ever, wash away.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
If you're saying that no part of the compound comes into contact with moving water, then I don't understand why you would put any of it on. If, on the other hand, you concede that it does come into contact with moving water, which, in some applications, is also hot, then I think the answer is obvious.

The compound goes around the olive, to assist in a water tight joint, you can as in the OPs case just put the paste arund the olive without dismantling the fitting. All he needs to do is run the nut back up the pipe.

Whoever didn't do the job right in the first place.

It's my personal choice to use the better product. The one that is quicker to apply, doesn't ooze, and will never, ever, wash away.

Thats your choice, I disagree, and it will not wash away.

PTFE<PTFE<PTFE<PTFE<PTFE>PTFE<PTFE<PTFE<PTFE<PTFE> cant beat it. Why dont u call it quits & agree to use Swan brands Ptfe based paste. Never know anything seal like it, even diesel & htg oil Grades C & D .Even has a thick brush to keep ya fingers clean . (Appen new tricks & dogs.) B&Q

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. Just to let you know that it worked and everything is bone dry!!!

Mark

Sponsored Links
As it happened I used both (not together though). I used ptfe on the fittings that were easily accessible. Jointing compound was used on the less accessible fittings.

Both worked great so maybe the arguement will never be fully settled.

Once again thanks.

Mark

watertight said:
Both worked great so maybe the arguement will never be fully settled.
PTFE tape doesn't age, or wash away, whereas jointing compound is capable of both, so you won't see any problems for some time to come.

The usual routine is for whoever maintains the radiator or valve to clean off the old compound and replace it before it ages too much, and if the maintainer is wise then he'll replace it with PTFE tape.

doitall said:
The compound goes around the olive, to assist in a water tight joint, you can as in the OPs case just put the paste arund the olive without dismantling the fitting. All he needs to do is run the nut back up the pipe.
Ah - the old 'smother it with muck and hope for the best' technique.

Whoever didn't do the job right in the first place.
So, either the customer, or Plumber B, should "make" (sic.) Plumber A come back and put it right. Do you have any more of these realistic ideas - make the manufacturer personally deliver a new component whenever you find a faulty one perhaps?

...it will not wash away.
It's capable of being washed away. What can go wrong does go wrong.

Softus said:
So, either the customer, or Plumber B, should "make" (sic.) Plumber A come back and put it right. Do you have any more of these realistic ideas - make the manufacturer personally deliver a new component whenever you find a faulty one perhaps?

Yes and they have many times, through their rep, and they have even paid our costs.

...it will not wash away.
It's capable of being washed away. What can go wrong does go wrong.[/quote]

Another classic fiction from softus inc. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back