rogue trader filming

chris roberts how did you get into the solar market.

I`am interested in training in this area of work, i have been looking at doing a BEPEC in it, also what does it cost to become a clearskies member.

Sponsored Links
silverback said:
I agree these programmes make me sick and where do they get their prices from,
These presenters of Rogue traders, how much do they get paid, I bet it's too much and it's out of licence payers money
I thought it was on ITV :oops:

You would be better getting into ground source, chp etc as I think its the way the industry is going.

Viessmann have control of the solar market, not that I'm ever likely to install them ( too old ) to clamber about on roofs nowadays :D

Plumber(newblood). The BPEC is being run by a handfull of colleges and manufactureers. Vaillant being one of them. Its a three day course which costs £587inc Vat as long as you have G3 if not its an extra day and £650ish.Clearskies is only relevant if you wish to install solar for people who applied for a grant through the low carbon trust as they have to use a clear skies installer. with the BPEC qual you get the chance to join the STA.With regards to cost if you are a A1 scheme memder with plumb centre you can claim half your costs back upon completion of the course.
Lee

Sponsored Links
i have just done one for free at Viessmann and im now on there list of key solar installers. It doesn't quallifiy me for Low carbons Trust or what ever it is called now( clearskies has now ended) but the customer can still claim the £400 back from the scheme as Viessmann act as a mentor for the first 2 -3 installs as long as you install Viessmann solar, Viessmann are supposes to inspect your installs after you have completed. i have already installed 1 but i need another then i can register with Low carbons trust.

Vaillant charge for there course but im still sure you need to prove 2 or more installs to get on the scheme.

Most manufacturers will put you on their own courses for free or small cost, Worcester, viessaman, alpha, grant, vaillant and baxi but all that gets you is to be manufacturer accredited. For the BPEC you have to pay because it is an outside certification agency.Its always been the same for any BPEC or CITB qual you have to pay somewhere.

lcgs said:
Most manufacturers will put you on their own courses for free or small cost, Worcester, viessaman, alpha, grant, vaillant and baxi but all that gets you is to be manufacturer accredited. For the BPEC you have to pay because it is an outside certification agency.Its always been the same for any BPEC or CITB qual you have to pay somewhere.

The BPEC qualification doesn't entitle you to the Low carbons trust does it?

Im sure you still have to show 2 installs to prove your competence.

They are separate, you need BPEC now to get onto the Low Carbon Buildings Programme, formally Clear Skies, the Viessmann course is just for their products, it will not get you onto any schemes, I have never known Viessmann to inspect installations

MickyP, you still have to show two installs plus complete the clearskies application form (lots of pages) including a written example of the energy saving to be made in joules and pounds.But as Silverback stated you also need the BPEC and without that they now wont process your application, just the same as ACS and Corgi. One shows competency the other is the regulatory body.
Why bother with clear skies, again it is only needed if your customer has apllied for the LCT grant. Join the STA if your serious about solar.

doitall said:
You would be better getting into ground source, chp etc as I think its the way the industry is going.

Viessmann have control of the solar market, not that I'm ever likely to install them ( too old ) to clamber about on roofs nowadays :D

Just forget all the heat pump stuff, and go direct. Cover your house with 1m-2m of soil and fit lightpipes for illumination. That way the heat requirement is so low the people inside it and the various things running on standby will keep the place warm :D

LCGS, how much would you have to pay for the BEPEC? around £600.
I have my G3 and that was a BEPEC so i trust the format. so if i get BEPEC solar i can install any manufactures solar products, and i also need to join the STA. could you give me a idea of how to go about doing this and costs involed.

i was looking for a job with a solar firm to gain experience, but it seems a lots of these big firm just rip people off, i would`nt be happy working for a company like this. i would only trust a sole trader i think?

located in the south west at the moment but moving back up to my home land (sheffield) anyone do much solar work up there ? also whats the going rate for this sort of thing?

Newblood, its the same with any registration scheme (Corgi,Hetas,Oftec). Get the qualification that proves your competant and then fill out the application form. all info is avaliable through the solar trade association web site.Just like every one else they will periodically inspect your work and carry out an initial assement.
With the BPEC qual your card is issued by the STA, why im not sure maybe silverback can answer that one? and what form of membership that offers im again not sure?
Alot of the large firms are charging alot of money but i suppose their overheads are higher, near us in Notts and Lincoln £6000-8000 isnt un heard of, and thats not including Smart Energy's prices.

silverback said:
They are separate, you need BPEC now to get onto the Low Carbon Buildings Programme, formally Clear Skies, the Viessmann course is just for their products, it will not get you onto any schemes, I have never known Viessmann to inspect installations

sorry i may of mis lead you... Viessmann qualification does not get you on the low carbon programme. You can get on the low carbon scheme if you have carried out 2 -3 solar installs . But the point i was getting at was Viessmann act as a mentor mean while as you install the first 2 - 3 installs so that the customer can still claim the £400 grant back from the low carbon trust. Viessmann say they will inspect your first 2 -3 installs ( i don't know why it is 2 -3 I think 2 should be enough) on behalf of who ever. ( not sure they will do but thats what they say).

its just the customer will want this £400 to help with the cost thats all and Viessmann are helping out the installers that are trying to prove competence to get onboard low carbons trust.

plumber (new blood) said:
chris roberts how did you get into the solar market.

Rather sadly I worked for Smart Energy. Not for long I might add. But long enough to do a fair few installs. Most people had them installed because they had some disposable income and wanted to feel like they were doing thier bit for the planet. A lot of people had them and big 4x4! PMSL. If you want to get into solar then working for a big firm is probly easiest. U just have to put ur head down and get on with it, ignoring the ones that blatantly don't need/afford it. Most people can do this for a year max. I did. Smart are constantly recruiting for this very reason.

thanks for that chris.
just not sure if a big firm is right for me. i`am sure loads of people get ripped off, dont think i could be apart of that.

think i`d` do better setting up on my own.

what sort of salary are we look at with smart heat anyway, if you don`t` mind me asking?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back