No central heating or hot water (with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved into a new house (not new build) and dont seem to have any hot water or central heating.

I've checked a few things and i'm looking for advice on what else to look at.

When switching the water and heating to 'continuous' on the programmer, the boiler fires ok and feels hot.

The pump is vibrating and feels warm to touch also.

When i slide the lever on the motorised value to open, it slides back down to 'Auto'.

My first thoughts was that the pump may be at fault. With it vibrating away, will it be ok?

My boiler is an 'Ideal W GT-101B' if that helps.

Last night I bled all the radiators in the house and noticed that the 5 downstairs appeared fine but the 2 upstairs - hardly any water came out of them. Could this mean that there is an airlock in the system?

Any ideas on what else i can looks for?

Sponsored Links
Could you not ask previous occupier if it was all ok, is there water in the heating system, may have all been drained if property was MT for a while

Hi

Asked the previous owner and he said it was working well.

Had a plumber around earlier (i'm at work, left him with the missus). The report from the missus is that the plumber believes that there may be an airlock and it could take up to 6 hours to find it. He has advised to change the full system.

The heating system was dry but has now been filled up with water. I really don't want to have a new system put in yet (as i cant afford it at the mo!). Could there be an airlock in the system?

Since filling up the heating system its still the same result :(

(i'm at work, left him with the missus). He has advised to change the full system.
Depressing, isn't it :rolleyes: Hope you didn't pay him anything much.

Bleed all rads so water comes out. If you can't header tank in loft may be dry , or the feed pipe may be blocked. There may be a sludge problem.

Then look near hot water cylinder for a bleed point - something to undo with fingers, screwdriver or small spanner.

Sounds like your pump is going - they can stick when not used or a while. Usually pretty obvious when you change speed , that they're stopping, in between as normal. Or remove screw and insert screwdriver.

Sponsored Links
Depressing, isn't it Hope you didn't pay him anything much.

hehehe :D

Bled all the rads last night, the 5 downstairs where ok, the 2 upstairs dribbled out.

I checked the header tank last night and it had water in it.

How can i check if the feed pipe is blocked?

I'll take a look at the hot water cylinder tonight and bleed that too if you think that may help.

I'll turn off the water and heating later and wait for the pump to cool and then do the screw driver job (although i believe the plumber may have done this earlier today).

any more suggestions?

cheers for the help so far!

just thinking...

i have the room thermostat wacked up to 30 degrees.

Could the programmer be faulty (although it does switch the boiler on and off ok)

hi Chris - yeah its a 3 port value

i've took some snaps so you can see the system.

system.jpg

tank.jpg

headertank.jpg

The ballcock is being lifted up here!

boiler.jpg

Ok an update.

Last night I turned both the water and heating off via the programmer.

I bled the 2 valves? in the first picture above. I only took out 1 ice-cream tub of water from each as it flowed really quick. I poured the water into the header tank.

This morning (baring in mind that the water and heating are still switched off), we have hot water and no heating.

Any ideas why this is happening? how come we have hot water now? is it using the hot water in the tank? I'm confused!

The system looks like a real dogs dinner. It could well be full of air locks since none of it is installed particularly well.

I assume you have opened up all the gate valves around the pump and mid-position valve.

The two "bleed" points appear to be drain off valves - I wonder if these were added in attempt to fill the system with water and force air out.

When you put the CH on, the lever on the end of the 3 port should go floppy - does it? If not, wiring or valve/motor is faulty.

Hi - many thanks for your reply

I assume you have opened up all the gate valves around the pump and mid-position valve.

I assumed that the gate valves would already be open - I'll check and open them if they are closed.

The two "bleed" points appear to be drain off valves - I wonder if these were added in attempt to fill the system with water and force air out.

Was i save to open these valves last night? I did and since then I appear to have hot water. The plumber who cam around said it was a botched job!

Chris - cheers again for your suggestions!

When you put the CH on, the lever on the end of the 3 port should go floppy - does it? If not, wiring or valve/motor is faulty.

I've had the water on continuous all day and the heating off.

I've just checked in the loft and the sliding lever was set at 'auto' and i was able to push up to 'man open' without much force. However the lever moves straight back down from 'man open' to 'auto' itself automatically.

15 mins ago I felt the boiler and it appear to be warm even though the water was still set on. I switched the heating on and there was no noise from the boiler.

I've just been into the loft again to check the sliding lever as you asked to check when th CH was on and it was exactly the same as before - slides up to 'man open' and moves back down to 'auto' itself. One thing i did notice was the pump didnt appear to be running (vibrating) and was cold to touch. I've just felt the boiler again and its still cold to touch even though the CH was switched on 15 mins ago and the water has been on all day.

any ideas?

Do you think the hot water is fixed or could it just be whats in the tank?

thanks for all your advice so far!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back