RAVENHEAT 820/20 grumbling after summer break

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the (combi) boiler running just hot water over the summer. Switched to Hw & Central Heating the other night and after about 1 minute lots of noise and rumbling creaks then steam!!! out the top of the unit...pilot light went out. So switched back to hot water only and fired it back up water runs fine no grumbles. We did have a bathroom radiator replaced as part of bathroom refit but it didn't do any of this when it was tested after fitting rad.

What buzz words is an engineer likely to be using when I call them out.

will be looking to exchange the boiler in future anyway...down size the bohemouth unit that it is...any recommendations...5 radiators (small flat) 1 bath 1 shower.

Sponsored Links
if you have steam it means the water which is being heated is not circulating fast enough or maybe not at all. not too familiar with these boilers so it may just be the pump seized up.

also are the rads turned on, check trvs they can stick. this would also cause bad circulation

also hows the water pressue, check guage reads between 1 and 1.5

Whats this....""""down size the bohemouth unit that it is...."""

I dont remember encountering anything like this before!

Tony

Agile said:
Whats this....""""down size the bohemouth unit that it is...."""

I dont remember encountering anything like this before!

Tony

It just seems much bigger than all the boilers I see in the shops and we only have a small flat...could be that it also seems a big unit because of the cupboard it is housed in coupled with small flat.

Guage is reading good pressure 1+.
So ideally I should open all rad valves to 5 (full) and try again.
Would you recommend a length of time to let it gurgle and steam away (have shut down immediately the noise and steam started, twice) or would this cause dammage if it steams for too long.
should i just get an engineer out.
Thanks for replies.

Sponsored Links
Pump head needs changing or you may be able to free it with a small screwdriver after removing brass screw

Thank you for replies. Should have let people know here that it was sorted. All the rad valves were turned off, so turned them all back to 5 and ran the central heating again...ALL FINE.
Thank you all.
Was 1/2 an hour away from getting someone out.

Will visit this site again and reccommend it to others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back