Does a kitchen extractor fan also need an air inlet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to fit a large 540m3/hr extractor unit over the cooker and the intallation manual says that I need to have a 500cm2 air inlet in the room to balance the pressure. I understand the theory of this and would be happy to do it if necessary but I just wondered if anyone actually bothered in reality? Does this also apply to small bathroom fans aswell?

Sponsored Links
You can let it suck air from the rest of the house, ans advantage of this is that the airflow prevents smells from drifting out of the kitchen or bathroom.

If you do put a vent in, have airflow in mind, and put it right at the opposite end of the room so that steam and smells are cleared.

If you have any open flued gas appliances such as the boiler or gas fire you can cause serious flue prroblems for these.

likewise, if you have a coal or wood fire in the lounge, you may find you end up with a house full of smoke as the air will flow through the route of least resistance, i.e down your chimney

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't mind a quid for every time someone complained about their bathroom fan, where the thing was trying to suck from a closed room...

Commonest answer - trim the bottom off the internal door :idea:

ChrisR how does the fan act when this happens, i know i go to loads where the fan is making an incredible noise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back