Cutting stainless steel cooker chimney hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give some advise on how to cut short the vertical chimney cover of a cooker hood. I need to cut it short by approx. 2".

My ceiling is very low and when the hood is fixed to the wall at the minimum height above the hob the the cover still does not fit! Please advise of how to get the neatest cut and what type of blade/cutter to use (where to buy it if possible).

Also need to cut ventilation grooves at the top as I am now forced to use a carbon filter which recirculates the air, all be it clean, back into the kitchen

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please read the Forum Rules, especially 1a.

I am deleting your duplicate posts.

Mod Rupert.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
I am not a metaworking professional but i have been in the same position so here is my tuppence worth.

I cut mine short with a 5" angle grinder, with a metal cutting blade attached. The edge was not 100% straight, but i cut into the ceiling and inserted the chimney into the ceiling to hide the rough edge. I then made good around the chimney with decorators filler (the hole i cut in the ceiling was quite accurate). If you can get an angle grinder with a larger blade it makes it easier to cut in a straight line. (9" and 12" disc cutters are available). If there is no ceiling joist directly above then perhaps you would not need to cut the stainless at all.

As for the ventilation holes. What about cutting a circular hole with a holesaw and then fitting (glue or self tapping screw) a plastic or stainless vent cover over it? Use a good bimetallic or metal cutting holesaw and apply some vegetable oil or cutting fluid to lubricate it. Go at a slow speed and don't let heat build up in the blade. Stop and let cool if necessary. Keep reapplying the lubricant as necessary.

You should also talk to a stainless steel fabricator to see how much it would cost for them to do the work. Remember this will be a focal point in your kitchen for years to come. They will have the skills and the tools to do the work. It might work out to be cheaper to get them to do it than to hire the tools, safety gear, buy blades lubricant etc)

If you do decide to go for it yourself, then try to practise a bit first. Stainless steel is a very hard metal & very difficult to cut. Be prepared for the blade slipping over the surface as you try to cut.

Hope it works out

- Robin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back