Sink waste snaffled! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody have any ideas to how I can solve this problem? :eek:

On Sunday a friend of mine said she had a leak under her plastic kitchen sink seemingly from the waste fitting. Upon inspecting the waste I found that the plastic screw that holds the grate to the waste was broken so there was absolutely no seal between the waste and the sink. I thought I would take the broken screw to the local plumbers’ merchants the following day to see if they would have a replacement. In addition I thought it wise to remove the waste and the section of pipe that runs to the trap as if the pms’ did not have a replacement screw they would be able to provide a suitable waste and grate that would fit. For the couple of days that the parts were not in place my friend could use a bowl.

The following day I went to the store. They never had the screw but were able to provide a substitute grate and waste that fitted the pipe connection. All of the said items were placed a plastic bag in my rucksack and I headed off to catch the bus home. As the bus was packed out I placed the large, but very ordinary looking rucksack onto the luggage area and took a seat about ten feet or so away. Upon completing the journey I retrieved the rucksack and headed off home.

I suppose you can guess the rest? :oops: Opening the rucksack that evening the plastic bag of items were nowhere to be seen. Also a couple of tools (not valuable) had been swiped. :mad:
Because the bag had been temporarily obscured by passengers some little chav presumably unzipped it and pilfered what can be of no conceivable value to him at all. :evil:

Rather than me sit hear dreaming up all sorts of suitable punishments for such miscreants I really should be focusing attention on getting my friends sink sorted. Does anyone have any idea what can be done in such circumstances? The sink and waste kit were Wickes products about ten years ago. Despite Wickes Head Office recommending that I visit my local branch for a replacement absolutely nothing was appropriate. :?:

Any advice much appreciated? Except perhaps only a tosser would let go of his bag on a crowded bus! That advice has already been dished out…and will be acted upon. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Go to any plumbers merchant, ask for a standard kitchen waste kit and a u trap.
or
pick up the mcalpine catalogue any good merchant will have it, its got loads of waste bits to pick from.
or
call a plumber if its standard it will only take about half hour to sort, if not they will soon let you know.
or
wait for people leaving B&Q follow them to the bus stop and steal theirs.

ratonnastick said:
Go to any plumbers merchant, ask for a standard kitchen waste kit and a u trap.

That's the point, though, it is not standard and the trap is not a part of what was removed, the trap is still in place.

ratonnastick said:
pick up the mcalpine catalogue any good merchant will have it, its got loads of waste bits to pick from.

I will certainly do this. Cheers.

ratonnastick said:
call a plumber if its standard it will only take about half hour to sort, if not they will soon let you know.

As I said, it is not standard

ratonnastick said:
wait for people leaving B&Q follow them to the bus stop and steal theirs.

Very tempting...might consider. ;) Cheers, Ratty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back