Advice for best system for powerful showers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are having an extension built that will mean replacing the current boiler and cylinder, but I am concerned that the showers we will get will not be as good as our existing one.

Currently we have a gas boiler with vented cylinder. We have a 1 bar booster pump (from Wickes) to supply the shower, that puts out 20-25l/min at the shower head. Its a really nice shower, and we would be reluctant to get less than this on the new system. (the pump used to empty the header tank before I enlarged the hole in the filler valve for the header tank!)

The new system we are being advised to have will be an unvented system, sited on first floor. We have been told that Mira and Aqualisa showers are probably the best for flow etc, but cant really find out what sort of flow we can expect. I have yet to find a shower as good as our existing one in other peoples houses, including people with unvented systems. The extension will give us 3 showers, but realistically only 2 will be in use at any 1 time.

The water board have tested the mains pressure and we have 5 bar, 25l/min flow. We will probably replace the supply pipe from mains to stopcock as we currently have either lead or steel (certainly wont be plastic). We will also need new pipework fitted throughout inside.

Are we likely to still get a decent shower flow rate with an unvented system and the mains supply we have got? What sort of shower makes would you recommend, and is there anything else we should watch out for? I dont want to find out that the showers are not what we want after the system has been installed. Should we just accept the advice being given and go with the unvented option?

Thanks

PS had prev posted this, but reading back on it, realised that I didnt ask all I wanted, so sorry if youre reading this again!

Sponsored Links
I would say go for the unvented cylinder. The 1 bar pump aint gona be very good make & will 1 day require replacing & creates noise while on. Ya pumps give u 1 bar so i guess u have a shower head with relative small hole in it 4 it to apear good. The unvented can supply u with 3bar giving a shower that must have a high flow head or its gona hurt. I always recomend the Aqualisa 609 21 BIV as a good value ,quality shower. Very nice high flow head. If want it ti apear to have more pressure fit the Mira which does have smaller holes in its standard head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back