No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just got home to find no hot water and the pressure at 0 on my Vaillant combi boiler (Ecomax 824/2 E). I have filled the pressure previously so I know where the taps are and which way to turn them. This time they won't turn. I don't know what caused the pressure to drop so suddenly. The fault code on the boiler information panel is F.25 which the manual says means the "Water switch/System pressure is too low" caused by "Water Switch plug disconnected/water switch activated". There is also a crossed-out flame symbol which means "Boiler is at lock out".

What is a water switch? what is stopping the taps from turning?

Hope you can help!

Ros

Sponsored Links
does the safety\blow off pipe outside show signs of leakage?.

I don't have access outside as I'm on the first floor. I can't see any leakage around any pipes inside. The boiler was fitted new in 2005 so it should still be in good condition.

Your problem is lack of/no water in your system.

try again to release water into the system, by turn those valves, don,t forget there are two valves that may be turned off,

the valve are opened away from you when standing in front of the boiler

Sponsored Links
bobw1956 said:
Your problem is lack of/no water in your system.

try again to release water into the system, by turn those valves, don,t forget there are two valves that may be turned off,

the valve are opened away from you when standing in front of the boiler

But why is their no water in system? - solve this and the problem is diagnosed and can be repaired, filling it up may fix the problem if someone has broke in and drained the system otherwise the pressure will drop again.

That's the problem, I can't turn the valves as they are locked. I have tried many times and I know how they turn because I have done that before.

It's very strange, i'll have to call an engineer as I can't work out what has caused the pressure drop.

Thanks for your help!
Ros

bster said:
But why is their no water in system? - solve this and the problem is diagnosed and can be repaired, filling it up may fix the problem if someone has broke in and drained the system otherwise the pressure will drop again.

9 times out of 10 its a rad valve

agreed but there is no leakage inside.

rosie - check the rad valves and are you saying that the filling loop's valves are seized -both of them, when was the last time they were operated?

What is a rad valve? and where is it?

The filling loop valves won't move - it's not that they are seized, but it's as though something has locked them. In february when I had the same problem, for about a day the valves wouldn't turn, then suddenly they decided to and turning them was very easy. I last checked them perhaps about a month ago and had no problem.

rad valve - radiator valves.

is the filling loop one with tap heads or little black levers?

The pressure guage is reading 0 too, so it isn't the switch.
The valves can become quite tight, you need a strong grip on a strong tool. Remember they're quarter turn types. There's no locking mechanism.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back