Worcester Heatslave Combi boiler ignition problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My apologies for re-listing this (see earlier post) but I have an old combi boiler (Worcester Econaheat Heatslave) which has served me well for several years now. It provides both hotwater and central heating for my flat.

However, it seems to be struggling to start particularly on cold mornings. The power is getting through and the fan starting I think, but the sound of the automatic ignition cannot be heard for awhile, this morning it took 30mins. Whenever I remove the front cover to look through the glass window for flames, it has an uncanny habit of igniting! Perhaps something to do with the vibration helps it along?

Any help much appreciated.

GW

Sponsored Links
The fan is probably not getting up to speed until it warms up, so failing to flick the air pressure switch.

hmmm....is it worth getting a service to repair this or with the age of this boiler is it a question getting a new one? I could attempt a repair myself if it was not too difficult but maybe not worth the effort?

Thanks for your respose ollski.

Is it natural gas or oil?.....Replacement fan is pretty reasonable but an engineer will measure the resistance to see if that is the fault, I mean that is where I would start looking but dont mean it is definitely at fault.
If the boiler is in good nick, well serviced etc, why replace it?

Sponsored Links
It is natural gas. The boiler was serviced about 2 years ago and the engineer (from Scottish Gas) said it was in perfect working order. It has for awhile taken time (say 5-10mins) to ignite but only recently has it gone to the extreme of 30mins +.

I'd be pretty confident of a failing fan, but as I say possibly the air pressure switch. Because of the safety aspect of the case seal though and the boilers age get the job done by a corgi eng.

Great, many thanks for the advice...I'll take it!

Anywhere near N. Glasgow? If so then try Rannoch Services.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back