Faulty Earth on lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my landing floorboards up (to repair same) and found the earth wires just twisted together on the downstairs lights, when I tried to tidy them up the breaker tripped. obviously this wants sorting out so I will rewire said lights. Question is would you use 5amp or 20amp junction boxes?
JonB

Sponsored Links
The ceiling rose (if modern) will have plenty of terminals in it, this would be preferable to using a junction box under the floor where it is out of sight and inaccessible.

Sometimes terminal connections go loose and it will be easier to find and correct them at the ceiling rose.

If you are able to take up floorboards you could even run a new length of 1.5mm T&E to the rose from whatever point it is correct.

Thanks for the quick response John.
I would prefer to use junction boxes as the light fittings are metal, i.e. spot s, ceiling fan`s and a couple of flu`s.
JonB

The 5A JBs are weedy little things, i wouldn't bother with them. Get a nice big one.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back