Vectra fault code

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2001 Vectra with the Z18XE engine. The engine management light has been coming on fairly regularly for some time now with no other symptoms.

Following some helpful advice (thanks chaps) I have bought an Elmscan 5 scanner package, plugged in the laptop and read the fault code.

It is p1555*

Anyone know what this means and what I can do about it?

Sponsored Links
I did a quick search on Google and I found the following info for this fault code on a Vauxhall owners forum:

P1555 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Load Signal not Plausible with Engine Load

The control unit recognises the malfunction of the circuit via an internal evaluation logic.

Make sure there is some slack in the throttle cable or the TPS wil give duff readings to the ecu.

Good tool isnt it! (elmscan5)

Thanks for your replies. Interesting about the throttle cable. I was getting quite excited at the prospect of a quick and painless fix. Unfortunately my car doesn't have one. According to the manual the accelerator position is sensed and passed to the ecu electronically - D'oh!

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

V. happy with the elmscan interface and software thanks neo. Only problem I had was with the USB to serial port converter (my laptop doesn't have a serial port). It took a few goes and an e-mail to tech support at ScanTool to get it going. Could have just been me being thick though!

Sponsored Links
Must be some sort of sensor on the pedal somewhere then if there's no cable.

afaict P1555 = Throttle posn / MAF sensor implausable signal.
Probable cause is a blocked hose or an air leak.

Thanks for your replies. I have inspected the air intake ducts and associated hoses, including the 2 breather hoses that I can see. All appear to be in good condition. No splits and joints appear sound.

I guess the only way to check for blockages would be to have the hose off. I haven't had time for any dismantling other than to take a look at the air filter and housing which looked normal.

The car has one other gremlin which I am beginning to think could possibly be related. The odometer is an electronic display which was flickering on and off for some time, then went out completely. This would indicate a faulty electrical connection. Could this be linked?

Got round to taking the throttle body off and cleaning it and associated breathers. All hoses seem good. Didn't cure the fault though. If anything the light came on more often.

Then the emissions warning light came on with the code p0170 - fuel trim fault. I have now put on a new throttle body and the engine runs without this second fault.

Still getting the old p1555 and the light with the spanner though. It also seems to idle high at about 1100 revs.

I am considering a new MAF sensor unless anyone has any other ideas?

I don't know anything about cars, but I did a search for this code because my local garage tells me this is reason why my light is also coming on. According to my garage there's updated engine management software available from Vauxhall that fixes this problem. Anyway, my car's booked in for Monday.

In case it helps anyone, loading new PCM software did NOT fix the problem, but fitting a new throttle body unit seems to have done the trick.

Got round to taking the throttle body off and cleaning it and associated breathers. All hoses seem good. Didn't cure the fault though. If anything the light came on more often.

Then the emissions warning light came on with the code p0170 - fuel trim fault. I have now put on a new throttle body and the engine runs without this second fault.

Still getting the old p1555 and the light with the spanner though. It also seems to idle high at about 1100 revs.

I am considering a new MAF sensor unless anyone has any other ideas?

Hi Im a Holden Tech in NZ the P0170 fuel lean code is a complete Pain to Diagnose, Numerous faults come up normaly, these normaly indicate O2 sensor , Maf sensor, Throttle postion, Multiple missifire on what cylinder it chooses, Each car has a different fault and may not be the same as the next, I can tell you it is most not likely to be any of the sensors or ECU or Wiring, These faults come up as a last resort , There is a fault in the system and all these Items are trying to adjust to compensate for the fault, When they cannot adjust any further they flag up a code and some tests can indicate an electrical fault, But its possibly not.
However A simple thing like an air leak in the intake system or exhaust manifold before CAT or a leaking Brake servo which is a mechanical fault or a simple thing like a poor fuel pressure problem , possible pump issue or split pick up pipe in the tank supplying the pump could be the problemor the pump is weak., All these things can cause diagnostics a nightmare, There is protocol to follow when diagnosing in a dealership, they follow a procedure outlined by the manufacturer for each and individual trouble code and the TIS2Web or TIS2000 procedure does point towards an electrical fault which is why lots of people fit ECU's O2 sensors, Throttle bodies Ect, this is why it takes so long , then after checking each fault code they then have to look at possible Mechanical failure. It causes so many problems as the customer thinks its the garages way of making money, IN fact it becomes a headache for the Garage as they cant and find they cant charge the 20 plus hours trying to solve the problem.I hope some of the info i Have given for the P0170 helps your way to fixing your problem

Sponsored Links
Back