Rewire order (kitchen first)

• Thread starter NotSureAboutDIY
  • Start date
N

NotSureAboutDIY

Hi All
Im looking at getting my house rewired (current job is poor) its a 3 bed terrace from around 62, it has floorboards on first floor, cavity breeze block walls, kitchen at fron living room at back stairs seperate the 2.

my question is how feasible/easy is it to do the kitchen first, then the rest of the place a few weeks later?

with part p etc is it legal for electrician to work on an install thats not within regulation without replacing all incorrect wiring?

Sponsored Links
Its certainly possible, but will probably cost a bit more than doing it all in one go, though kitchen and rest of house is probably most logical split if its going to be split. I'd install separate circuits for the kitchen if I was doing this way I guess, on the whole this would be the case anyway, with the exception of the lights, so no big difference there

with part p etc is it legal for electrician to work on an install thats not within regulation without replacing all incorrect wiring?

Thats an interesting question, and the answer is it depends on what work is being done, who you ask, etc. I'd suggest in your case most electricians wouldn't have a problem, just fit a new board, install new main bonding from it (even if it goes into rooms other than the kitchen), feed old board from 50A breaker on new board, remove and bypass kitchen parts of old circuits, install new kitchen circuits, then he can come back a bit later and install new circuits elsewhere from the new board and then remove the old board. Note, please that part P hasn't changed anything with regard to the question except made things a bit more traceable and people more accountable, and minor 'rule-breaking' that even decent electricians might have done before (like testing an installation but not filling out an EIC) happen less now

cheers adam for a straight answer, shame you're not in brum!

Ive got a question on another thread about counter top trunking.
do you know of any such solutions for kitchens
also is surface mounted trunking within kitchens still OK?
I know its ugly but due to cabinet layout it should be well hidden...

Sponsored Links
stewski said:
cheers adam for a straight answer, shame you're not in brum!
I'm not yet qualified or registered either... (sorry, my writing style might have mis-led you slightly :oops: )

Ive got a question on another thread about counter top trunking.
do you know of any such solutions for kitchens
Not sure how muchit costs, but you can certainly still get such a thing, not sure there are any special products for kitchens or even what exactly you be looking for if you wanted a 'kitchen version'

also is surface mounted trunking within kitchens still OK?
It'll be ok with the electrician and the building inspector, but what about the kitchen designer or the wife?... :LOL:

I know its ugly but due to cabinet layout it should be well hidden...

Ok, A nice way to do a kitchen ring final circuit would probably be just trunk it around on the wall just below the countertop level go vertically a small distance where-ever there is an outlet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back