Boiler not firing up/ making banging noises when it does

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help? My boiler central heating wall switch was worn out and wouldn't fire up the boiler. I resorted to putting on both the central heating and hot water switches on at the same time so that the boiler fired up. Shortly after, the hot water when hot will shut the system down and the radiators will cool after a brief period. Now when I switch on the boiler instead of firing up it starts making very violent rattling noises and I immediately switch it off! Do you have a clue what the problem might be.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Ollski. I'm not well versed re boilers etc but a boiler engineer has told me that he thinks the circuit board needs to be changed. What's the relationship between the circuit board and the pump? or header tank. Can I change these parts myself?

The pump on a suprima is, or should be, driven by the boiler pcb. If the pcb is not switching a live power connection to the pump then it won't spin.

Sponsored Links
Thanks O. You are abosulutely right! I have a Suprima 30 boiler and it has now been further explained to me exactly as you have said. Do you by any chance know the costs for replacing this part?

The old ones were about £96 plus fitting and the latest type is about £160 plus fitting ( which is more involved ).

The old ones were rather unreliable and the new ones are meant to be better!

We would charge our fixed price diagnostic charge of £84 plus the cost of the part and that includes a service and system check.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back