Conventional System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right chaps heres one for you:

Moved into a new house last wednesday, its got a conventional boiler in a lower cupboard in the kitchen...a right arse to get to! Got a cylindrical tank in the airing cupboard and a wickes programmer on the wall.

Neither the hot water or central heating works. Hot water is first priority really. I switch the controller to hot water, hear a relay click in the controller, leave it for a while but no hot water comes through. What shall i check myself first? I havent a clue where to start.

Ta, Matt

Sponsored Links
1st does the boiler fire up.
2nd what sort of system have you got s plan y plan w plan
3rd is the pump running.

you will have to bare with me a little bit, ive been used to combi boilers.

Should the boiler fire up for just domestic hot water for the taps? I take it i would need to ignite the boiler manually? How do i do that?

I havent a clue what a y plan or w plan is?

Does the pump need to run for hot water from the taps?

I cant try and get the central heating running at the mo as the system is drained because the rads needed to come off for decorating.

Sponsored Links
Should the boiler fire up for just domestic hot water for the taps? I take it i would need to ignite the boiler manually? How do i do that?

boiler make / model might help :idea: :idea:

I cant try and get the central heating running at the mo as the system is drained because the rads needed to come off for decorating.

in which case you can't get hot water either :eek:

Its a Baxi, there is no model number on it but it looks fairly old. Access is ****e as its at the back of a low kitchen cupboard.

kevplumb said:

I still get water from the hot taps....its just not hot. The central heating runs from a different tank in the loft.

What kev means is you can't have hot water, so don't even try to light the boiler without any water in it.

mattl said:
kevplumb said:

I still get water from the hot taps....its just not hot. The central heating runs from a different tank in the loft.

It uses the water that goes round the radiators to heat up the water, If you are trying to get it to work with no water in it all you will do is burn out the pump.

ollski said:
mattl said:
kevplumb said:

It uses the water that goes round the radiators to heat up the water, If you are trying to get it to work with no water in it all you will do is burn out the pump.
and not do the boiler much good.

Right...bit of movement on this:

Its a Baxi WM 381 RSC HB.

Pump runs.

Cant get pilot light on.

Still not sure what W or Y plan is but i got 1 tank in loft, 1 in airing cupbopard and the cylinder.

Any clues to getting the pilot on. Just changed the lead on the igniter...still no joy.

Do NOT light pilot and then fire boiler if you have drained the heating system.One thing,has your hot water cylinder got an immersion heater in it,if it has you will see an electrical flex running from the top of the cylinder to a switch somewhere close,if so it should be ok to use this and it will give you hot water if it is working as this heats your hot water via an electrical element rather than from your boiler,which,if you've drained off water should not be used.

If after re-filling and venting your heating system you still cant get the pilot to light I would suggest you book a service for your boiler. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back