Radiator:- curing a tiny leak & the lockshield valve set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

today I replaced the thermostatic valve on the living room rad and I then refilled the central heating circuit. All seemed well as I turned on the rad and it heated up as expected. shortly afterwards I noticed a very occasional drip coming from the horizontal cap nut where it is attached directly to the radiator. When I fitted the thermostatic valve I completely removed the old attachment from the rad and screwed in the new one using PTFE tape. The old fitting appeared to have some gunge/sealant on it which I am now wondering aided its watertight fit? Anyway can somebody tell me is there somekind of external sealant I could apply or is the only solution is to backtrack & refit with some more PTFE tape?

Another question, at the other end of the rad, what position should I turn the lockshield to balance the system i.e is there a method to determine it optimum setting?

thanks

adam

Sponsored Links
Best option - take it off, clean the threads wind PTFE on, when you think you have enough tape on the tail wind another few turns on

Try a search on balancing your systems - you will get a few hits!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back