Extension costs, and planning regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking for any advice from those of you in the building trade...
... am thinking of having a small extension built on the side of my kitchen and dining room. I will encompass the back door and the dining room window.
Sizewize it will be approx 2.25m by 2 metres and may incorporate a compact downstairs loo. It will need a wall built on 2 sides, the roof will be joined in with the exsisting kitchen roof (a single storey extension from approx 70 years ago!)

Really I am looking for pointers on what planning officers will look for; what the regs are regarding downstairs loos the empty into cess-pits (and practical minimum size for loos); whether a part wooden, part brick extension is acceptable... and most importantly how do I find a good builder???

Sponsored Links
siriusb said:
and most importantly how do I find a good builder???
Pop down to your local BCO and they will help you with any question you need to know and should be able to help you for recommendation for builders and their advice is free!

I don’t think there is a minimum size for a loo but you obviously have to be able to get in & shut the door; probably 800mm wide to accommodate a standard 27 inch door & realistically no less than 1100mm long; much smaller than that & you won’t be able to read the paper!

As masona says, go along to your local PP/BC dept. preferably with some sketches & they can advise but here are some point s to consider; I don’t think you can have a loo leading directly off a kitchen, I think there has to be another door in between; the loo also has to have an opening window or be positively vented (a fan). No problem with the loo going into a cess pit but you may have to provide evidence that an existing one can cope. The electrics & the drainage system must comply with building regs. & a new drain has to be leak tested & the test witnessed by BC. A part wood construction may be a problem as it may be difficult to meet current regs. on insulation. The foundation size/depth & roof construction also has to comply. You may also need PP!

As for choosing a good builder, this can be a bit of a minefield with small projects; go on recommendation if you can, get at least 3 quotes, look at some of their work & talk to a previous customer before you chose. Pay as little as possible up front, certainly no more than 20% but you may also be asked to pay the cost of the base once it’s laid; keep a close eye of what they are doing so they can’t cut corners, make sure BC are called in to inspect various elements of the build when they should be & don’t pay the balance until you’re happy with the finished article.

You'll need Planning Permission + Building Regs approval, looking at approx 8-10 weeks for approval............u shouldn't start until approvals in place.

You can have wc coming immedialty off Kitchen.......just ensure min. ventilation rates are achieved in both Kitchen + WC.

You can go for a part timber cladded structure BUT as long as it complies with Bldg Regs (eg, in terms of insulation etc)

Speak to an architect asap

Sponsored Links
Just to pick up on one small point above - and for reference. There is no requirement to have 2 doors between a kitchen and WC. It used to be the case but the regs changed quite a few years ago and it's not required now.

peca27 said:
You'll need Planning Permission + Building Regs approval, looking at approx 8-10 weeks for approval............u shouldn't start until approvals in place.

Why can't this be done under Permitted Development? There is no need for a formal planning application then.

You can start anytime once a building notice or full plan application is registered - this will require the applicant to be sure that work is going to be done correctly, but the BCO will still come and do the checks all the same.

An Architect is overkill and expensive for such a small extension. The 'designer' can be anyone suitably competant - eg an architectural technician, a building surveyor or engineer, or even just a builder with the right skills.

But if done under permitted development and with a building notice, then there are no plans required, no waiting and can start within 48 hours.

^woody^ said:
peca27 said:

Why can't this be done under Permitted Development? There is no need for a formal planning application then.

You can start anytime once a building notice or full plan application is registered - this will require the applicant to be sure that work is going to be done correctly, but the BCO will still come and do the checks all the same.

An Architect is overkill and expensive for such a small extension. The 'designer' can be anyone suitably competant - eg an architectural technician, a building surveyor or engineer, or even just a builder with the right skills.

But if done under permitted development and with a building notice, then there are no plans required, no waiting and can start within 48 hours.

This is a relatively small extension & I mostly agree with your comments; however, it's worth chatting to you local planning dept. re the permitted development angle. I discovered that my local council had recinded my permitted develpment rights as a result of a previus sucessfull application, even though this particular work did not go ahead; so I still had to go through tthe hoop!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back