Kenmore washer: whining noise on spin cycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, all.
Our 4 YO Kenmore top-loader recently starting doing this horrible whine on the spin cycle. If it is a fast spin, it's a high-pitched whine and if it's a slow spin, it's a low-pitched whine. My DH thinks it's a belt that needs to be replaced, but the belt doesn't show wear. Any other ideas, or is it most likely the belt?

TIA,
LoriA

Sponsored Links
have you noticed if its drying the clothes the same as before? could be the belt needs tightening?

If this is a Whirlpool built Kenmore washer they have used a direct drive system since the mid 80's I believe. Direct drive = no belts. If your washer model number starts with a 110.********. Try to locate where the noise is coming from even if you have to remove the cabinet to do so.

thank you! My DH dragged out the owner's manual to get the belt number and said "there's no belt on this thing!"

It appears that it might be the sound dampening thing? (how technical is that?) Like it loosened up. DH pushed it back up and (fingers crossed) two loads w/o the noise, but it wasn't always making the noise, so we'll see.

:)

Sponsored Links
next cycle it did it again. I guess it only makes the noise on a FULL load (uh.. the reason i bought the BIGGEST washer is to do full loads :(

Any other ideas, anyone?

:(

well I'd check the obvious, like that there's nothing like a nail or piece of wire in the drum, poking through the holes and I'd check the water pump for foreign objects, I,m told the pump can make alot of noise, but expect you've already done this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back