Opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right. Had enough of my ****e boiler. Got a couple of plumbers come round to quote me on a condensing boiler. Im not sure how old the current system is but its on 8mm microbore.

Plumber 1 seemed to think the microbore is not a problem. Nor is the old iron pipe to supply the boiler. Waitiing for him to get back to me with a price.

Plumber 2 wasnt hapy with the iron pipe, wanted to run a new one and didnt like the microbore and wanted me to have a whole new system including rads. Quoted £3k for a system with a Vaillant boiler.

Opinions please chaps.

Sponsored Links
Get more quotes, Your micro bore should work if it worked before, but if it looks like its been beaten with the hoover most wont want to touch it.

ratonnastick said:
Get more quotes, Your micro bore should work if it worked before, but if it looks like its been beaten with the hoover most wont want to touch it.

Will try.....2 people turning up was the result of calling 15 plumbers!

i think the second bloke is probably spot on, bettert to rip out and start again, thinking of guarantees etc.

microbore can be a pain if it aint be looked after as flushing it can be problematic.

Sponsored Links
I don't fit microbore, but as long as it isn't fitted stupidly (The drain off is 18" up the wall, but the microbore pipes bow deep down under the floor, so making it hard to fully cleanse), there is no reason why a really good flush, the inclusion of a magnetic filter into the system should not ensure future longevity of your new boiler.

If I were going for renewal I would insist on copper, I would prefer to keep copper microbore to plasstic 15mm.

If the microbore is plastic take greater care over flushing and do so again every few years, particularly if it predates the present barrier pipe era.

just a thought, but isnt microbore installed in the first place because of concrete floors rather than preference of 8mm pipework

although id imagine you've already checked, nevermind!

My original system used 8mm pipe split off 22mm manifolds. When it was updated to a combi i replaced the manifolds (for the barrel type) and any duff joints etc and also power flushed it proper, been fine for 2years (touch wood).

microbore=quick job=lash up been,seen,ripped out and done it MY WAY :LOL: :cool: trouble is I never got rich like the micro cowboys :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back