How long before painting newly skimmed walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How long should I wait until painting my kitchen walls which have just been skimmed with a single layer of finishing plaster?

Also can I use any paint to go over the sealing paint, or does it have to be special Kitchen paint?

Sponsored Links
I have recently had my livingroom ceiling and walls skimmed by a pro plasterer who advised me to wait between 5-7 days before painting using a 'matt' emulsion. In my case it took only five days as the weather was very good and the patio doors and windows were open from morning til night.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for that, my walls have almost turned light pink after 3 days but I'll wait a few more days in that case. Just wondered if I had time to apply the base coat before the new kitchen arrives.

my walls have almost turned light pink after 3 days

Efflorescence? :( Maybe just lightly brush the walls down before painting :). By the way, don't you have to use PVA or something to seal the surface before painting? :) Sorry, if this was already mentioned, but I didn't really understand :(.

Sponsored Links
Is there any difference Dulux trade emulsion and the normal matt emulsion? My local B&Q doesn't stock the trade stuff so I was just curious why it comes so highly recommended? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back