Combi boiler verses std boiler and new water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Moving into a 1930's terrace house which currently has a gas fire with a back boiler and the water tank in a cupboard in the 2nd bedroom. I want to get the boiler replaced and I'm not sure whether to get a combi boiler (I'm assuming I can ditch the water tank if I do this?), or get a normal boiler and put a new water tank in the loft.

As a very rough rule of thumb which is gonna be cheaper?

Thx

Terstons_girl

Sponsored Links
It depends if your existing system has already been brought up to date with current regulations regarding controls and energy efficiency,because if it hasn't it will need to be,bearing this in mind,by the time this has been done you might find it cheaper to have a new high efficiency boiler installed,and yes,if you have a combi boiler installed you would not need any water storage cisterns or cylinders. Best thing is to get 2 or 3 quotes from different RGI's in your area. Hope this helps.

Thanks Chr15.

BTW - what are the current regulations regardings controls and energy efficiency? (Not in detail - just a rough answer will do!)

Change to fully pumped if not already,by means of a 3 port valve or 2 x 2port valves,thermostatic control to hot water by means of a cylinder thermostat and thermostatic control to your heating by means of a room thermostat,which also would provide boiler interlock,thermostatic radiator valves fitted to all radiators except the one which is in the same room as the room thermostat-you may already have some of this in place so there might not be as much work to do as you think.

Sponsored Links
A combi would be cheaper and because you live in a small house it will give you more space............Unless its a huge two bed terraced

Combi installation and purchase costs will be quite a bit lower. You may need to change your shower, it'll need checking anyway. Expect quite a bit of soot if the back boiler is to be removed, get ready with the furniature attachment on the hoover.

Thanks guys. It's a small house and I don't yet have a shower! But it sounds like combi is the way to go. Thanks again. Terstons_girl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back