Outside stopcock broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My outside stopcock is not working it reduces the pressure of the water mains but doesn't stop it and the water board recon it could take up to 2 years to fix ....My problem is that my internal stopcock has boken also (100 year old handle sheared off in my hand) this leaves me in a tricky situation has anybody got any ideas besides getting swimming lessons :LOL: Ive heard something about plumbers been able to freeze the incoming water mains according to the water board that is ...any truth to this ? thanks

Sponsored Links
Pipe freeze is a good way to go subject to the condition of the supply pipe and providing that you are confident that you have all the parts needed to replace your stopcock.

I would avoid using anything other than an electric pipe freezer - that way you have all the time you need to replace any valves or pipework.

Theres nothing gets the adrenalin pumping more than using an aerosol freeze and then finding out that the replacement part ain't going to fit!

For the cost of hiring an electric freezer it may be more economical to get the job doen professionally (especially if your stopcock is really 100 years old!)

Cheers Newboy that helps alot ..... and if you hear of someone drowning in there own kitchen on News at 10 ...you will know that it didnt work !!! :LOL:

If the water if flowing (e.g dripping tap) the freeze kit will never work.
when you say external stop cock is that your primary one from the main?

Sponsored Links
Make sure there is no flow of water due to a dripping tap or float valve.

Freese and fit a new stop cock.

Or if the stop cock is compression weigh up whether it is worth a live changeover depoending upon postion which affects level of difficulty and likely water damage. If you've recently had kitchen fitters, if they've left access at all to a stop cock it will be a 20mm hole out of line, and they will definately not have bothered to fit a new one while they were at it.

lemons said:
My problem is that my internal stopcock has boken also (100 year old handle sheared off in my hand)

i sheared the top off the tap in my last house (dont tell my landlord :oops: ) to remidy it i simply filed what was left of the taps shaft square and refit the top of the tap. -this will depend on your tap and if it is seized then there wouldnt be much point in doing what i just described!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back